What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Problems Installing Quick-Drain Oil Valve on IO-360

Airzen

Well Known Member
Folks,

I have an IO-360 with superior cold sump on the RV-8 project. The issue is that the exhaust pipes (Vetterman) are too close to the oil drain sump on the engine. Please see the image below.

The configuration I have is pretty standard, and I am hoping some of you who have gone before can give me some suggestions.

1) Are there others who have faced similar issue? Would you mind sharing your solution?
2) Is it even possible to put a quick-drain oil valve with the cold sump on?

The alternative is to let it be, but the presence of the exhaust pipe will make things harder.

Thanks in advance.
Ashish

fa1wsz.png

Last edited:
Folks,

I have an IO-360 with superior cold sump on the RV-8 project. The issue is that the exhaust pipes (Vetterman) are too close to the oil drain sump on the engine. Please see the image below.

The configuration I have is pretty standard, and I am hoping some of you who have gone before can give me some suggestions.

1) Are there others who have faced similar issue? Would you mind sharing your solution?
2) Is it even possible to put a quick-drain oil valve with the cold sump on?

The alternative is to let it be, but the presence of the exhaust pipe will make things harder.

Thanks in advance.
Ashish

fa1wsz.png

I had to install the drain horizontally on the left rear of the sump above the exhaust. You seem to have the same issue that we all share with that sump, at least of the ones I've seen. Larry

Hi Ashish

I'm asking the obvious but you never know - Looks like you have an inverted oil system. The photo maybe be misleading but is there enough room to fit the inverted oil return to the sump hole on the right and use the current return hole for the drain?

I have the same sump but 4 into 2 not 4-4 exhaust.

I have the same sump with the same exhaust. I just used the other drain hole almost in the center..
Nordo

Ashish, You will need to use the port that the exhaust pipe from Cyl #4 goes right by that is on the side of the sump. Clint

Thanks

Thanks for all the ideas.

Regarding using the other port that's aft for inverted oil return: the only thing why I am hesitant about is that the inverted oil return shown in the photo has a tube that goes inside the engine case. If we move the inverted oil return to the aft hole it interferes with a metal filter on oil pickup (again for inverted) that's attached to the port on right side of the engine.

The interference is slight (the A&P I work with mentioned that we could slight bend/modify).

Back