What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 gust lock

tracy

Well Known Member
Friend
Do you need a rudder gust lock on a rv8 that has control rod attached to rudder instead of springs. I can't see how wind will move the rudder with tailwheel tide down.

I have a steering link on my RV7 and find that in strong gusty winds some form of gust lock is a good idea.

Cheers

Do you need a rudder gust lock on a rv8 that has control rod attached to rudder instead of springs. I can't see how wind will move the rudder with tailwheel tide down.
Second Eddie's remark, in strong winds, you will need a rudder lock.

A big gust could put enough force on the tailwheel control arm to push the locking pin out of its slot, and allow the rudder to move. I'd use a gust lock unless you are 100% sure the winds will be light.

Agree too. Not cheap but I find the AirGizmo one works really well, though I make the tail into a knot as I am concerned that it might scuff the paint.

I use the Gust Buster on my RV-8. I love it. It's been tested and proven at Oshkosh this year (the gusty Tuesday afternoon), and at one of the most gusty days I've ever seen on Catalina Island. I highly recommend it if you want to truly protect your flight controls.

Back