What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PH Aviation Flap Actuators

Pat Hatch

Well Known Member
Advertiser
We have decided to replace the older RV Flap Actuator with the new RV Max Flap Actuator, which was formerly called the RV-10/-14 Flap Actuator. There are several reasons for doing this.

Many of you have our older RV Flap Actuator in your RV-6s, 7s, 8s, and 9s. Due to the popularity of the internal stops and integral position sensor (not to mention the reduced price) of our original units, we got a lot of requests for an RV-10 actuator that had the same features. Because the RV-10 wing and flaps have considerably higher aerodynamic forces, we developed a beefier actuator that had the same force and speed as the Vans unit. This newer actuator has had a great response from RV-10 and RV-14 builders. A couple of years ago we started playing around with the idea for putting the new actuator into an RV-9 given that it had a similar wing/flaps as the RV-10. This worked out very well and there has been quite a demand for it. More recently we have been installing the new actuators in RV-7s also with great success. So, all of this begs the question: why not just one actuator for all of the RVs?

Although we have hundreds of the older actuators in RVs out there, we have recently encountered a problem with a few of them where one will spontaneously retract from full flaps to about half flaps for no apparent reason. This has occurred in three actuators that we know of. After extensive investigation, we have found no mechanical problems so we have concluded that in rare cases where an actuator might be over lubricated, it is possible for the flaps to blow back up. This seems counterintuitive with a jackscrew mechanism, but it apparently can happen. We had one customer who was able to clear out some of the lubrication in his actuator and reported that this improved his situation. We have not encountered “blowback” at all with the newer actuators.

So, what are the differences? The RV Max is a much more robust and higher quality unit. It sells for $50 more but is a much better value—it will probably outlast your airplane. It’s about a 1/4” longer and a pound heavier. It produces about twice the force of the older units.

Due to supply channel issues and shipping delays, it has become increasingly difficult to keep both actuators in stock. Going to just one actuator allows us to simplify our operations and have more of the new ones in stock.

I am attaching some photos of the RV Max in the RV-7.

RV-7 Installation:

Attachments

• IMG_6521pp.jpg
    IMG_6521pp.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_6520pp.jpg
    IMG_6520pp.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_6550pp.jpg
    IMG_6550pp.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_7558pp.jpg
    IMG_7558pp.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 425
Here are some pictures of the RV Max Actuator being installed in an RV-9:

Attachments

• IMG_4543pp.jpg
    IMG_4543pp.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_4990pp.jpg
    IMG_4990pp.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_4989pp.jpg
    IMG_4989pp.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_4546pp.jpg
    IMG_4546pp.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 386
We have decided to replace the older RV Flap Actuator with the new RV Max Flap Actuator, which was formerly called the RV-10/-14 Flap Actuator. There are several reasons for doing this.

Many of you have our older RV Flap Actuator in your RV-6s, 7s, 8s, and 9s. Due to the popularity of the internal stops and integral position sensor (not to mention the reduced price) of our original units, we got a lot of requests for an RV-10 actuator that had the same features. Because the RV-10 wing and flaps have considerably higher aerodynamic forces, we developed a beefier actuator that had the same force and speed as the Vans unit. This newer actuator has had a great response from RV-10 and RV-14 builders. A couple of years ago we started playing around with the idea for putting the new actuator into an RV-9 given that it had a similar wing/flaps as the RV-10. This worked out very well and there has been quite a demand for it. More recently we have been installing the new actuators in RV-7s also with great success. So, all of this begs the question: why not just one actuator for all of the RVs?

Although we have hundreds of the older actuators in RVs out there, we have recently encountered a problem with a few of them where one will spontaneously retract from full flaps to about half flaps for no apparent reason. This has occurred in three actuators that we know of. After extensive investigation, we have found no mechanical problems so we have concluded that in rare cases where an actuator might be over lubricated, it is possible for the flaps to blow back up. This seems counterintuitive with a jackscrew mechanism, but it apparently can happen. We had one customer who was able to clear out some of the lubrication in his actuator and reported that this improved his situation. We have not encountered “blowback” at all with the newer actuators.

So, what are the differences? The RV Max is a much more robust and higher quality unit. It sells for $50 more but is a much better value—it will probably outlast your airplane. It’s about a 1/4” longer and a pound heavier. It produces about twice the force of the older units.

Due to supply channel issues and shipping delays, it has become increasingly difficult to keep both actuators in stock. Going to just one actuator allows us to simplify our operations and have more of the new ones in stock.

I am attaching some photos of the RV Max in the RV-7.

RV-7 Installation:

So I have the your original actuator installed but not flying yet...Is this Max a drop in replacement?

It is not a drop-in replacement. The brackets will be slightly different and the attach bolt is an AN5 so the hole is 5/16" versus 1/4".

You should be fine with your current actuator. I have one in my RV-6 going on 5 years now without a hitch. If it ever fails, I plan on replacing it with one of the new ones. But it's working fine so I don't plan on upgrading it.

I had the same question Michael had. Mine is working great but would go with the new one if needed. I appreciate the update.
Thanks

It would be great to see somebody make a one-piece machined billet aluminum retrofit bracket for the RV10. Versus the current two-piece angle fabricated/bolted contraption currently called for in the PH actuator plans.

I'd like to see a retro-fit kit, as it stands now the cost to install one in someone's aircraft would be prohibitively expensive with the labor to modify/make the brackets compared to just replacing with a Van's stock assembly.

I would agree with Walt….a retro-fit kit would be extremely helpful with the necessary bracket(s) included rather than requiring each RV owner machine them from scratch. I also have a 9 (flying) and the lack of a kit is my main hesitation to move forward.

Warmest regards, Mike

It would be great to see somebody make a one-piece machined billet aluminum retrofit bracket for the RV10. Versus the current two-piece angle fabricated/bolted contraption currently called for in the PH actuator plans.

X 2 on this. I wasted way too many hours coming up with a bracket that didn’t look like some Frankenstein fabrication of angles and what not. CNC for sure!

K

3rd try

X 2 on this. I wasted way too many hours coming up with a bracket that didn’t look like some Frankenstein fabrication of angles and what not. CNC for sure!

K

I am on my 2nd set of brackets for the 9a. My first ones had the actuator hitting the front support channel at one spot. My 2nd set moved the actuator down and tilted to avoid the interference. Now it looks like the end will hit the elevator control rod. I will make up set #3 once the elevator goes on and I determine how much flap throw the actuator really needs.

RV-8 Flap Actuator

Ditto the comments above about having a complete kit with no fabrication necessary- ready to put together and bolt in. I realize it was a bit of work to do the R&D and all the test fabrication in the process but the cost is what is keeping folks from buying these. I know that Vans doesn’t sell just the motor, you have to buy the whole assembly so not a lot of good options when all people really need is a redesigned motor.

When I had my -4 I remember buying just the motor direct from the manufacturer relatively inexpensively(Pittman I think). The flap motor still works in my -8 but it’s 21 years old with over 2,000 hours so I should probably have a spare in the hangar. Mine’s been working fine and not slinging any grease and it’s been clean. I just bought a whole assembly from someone here in the forum for $200.

The PH Flap Actuator looks like a very well designed unit but kinda pricey for something I’ve got to fabricate more brackets to make it work. The built in internal stops and integral position sensors make this actuator pretty attractive but if this was an entire kit I think the current cost would be easier to justify.

Maybe Vans should have another talk with whoever makes these flap motors and allow us to buy just the motor????

Last edited:
Maybe Vans should have another talk with whoever makes these flap motors and allow us to buy just the motor????

That's a great idea. I'm sure the supplier stopped selling to us because a bunch of individual pilots/builders/owners are not that easy to deal with - they could sell Van's 100 motors at a time, and we can by from Van's (or another retail outlet like ACS or one of the other VAF advertisers.)

If I remember correctly it was a pretty simple process installing the PH flap motor. I may have some photos but the bracket was easily made and installed. Considering some of the other parts we had to build!

Back