What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Champion vs Tempest Oil Filter 3 Questions

Tcheairs

Well Known Member
1. What Champion oil filter is a direct replacement for the Tempest AA48108-2 short spin on filter which comes with nipple? (Titan XIO 360 with 45* adapter).

2. I have read that the spin on end of the 3/4 nipple thread on the Champion is different from the Tempest. Can someone pls confirm the difference?

3. I have read in this forum(somewhere) that some have experienced a lower oil pressure (10psi lower in cruise) with the Champion filter. Can this be true?

Thanks

1. Champion 48108-1 is interchangeable for48108-2. These part#s spun onto the nipple which is on the engine. If you need a filter with nipple attached, possibly try 48110-1 or -2, refer to a catalogue.
2. The female thread on both filters are the same.
3. I would imagine both filters were manufactured to meet the same OEM spec. as far as filtration & flow ratings.

I’m cheap, Tempest is a couple bucks cheaper so is my choice.

Last edited:
Ralph gave you good info on the threads of the different brand of filters being the same.

Years ago, I used the three different spin on aviation filters that could be used on my Lycoming over standard oil change interval. Cutting them open, they were all similar. Champion may have had one or two additional pleats in the filter. Biggest difference that I saw was the price. It was my opinion that the Champion was slightly better but was not worth the extra price.

NOT QUITE THE SAME FLOW

The Champion has 2 x the # of holes between the O ring and the centre hole.

I will try to post a photo later.
search.php

The Tempest filter as personally observed on an 0-320 in an R22 helicopter will raise oil temps. Still below red line, but considerably warmer. Switching back to the Champion results in 10-20 Deg F reduction in indicated stabilized oil temp. The only possible explanation is reduced flow in the Tempest compared to greater flow in the Champion filters.

In the winter, it is an easy way to run warmer oil temperature.

VMMV , but for my 540 powered rides I will only ever use a Champion filter.

It appears Tempest has changed hole patterns to increase flow. I will try to find some old stock and post photos of the 4 hole filters they used to sell.

Last edited:
I dislike anything Champion sells.. their spark plugs are junk, I prefer the Tempest filters. The Tempest orings come pre-lubed, and contain a magnet in the oil filter. All for a cheaper price!

Any comments on oil pressure differences?...Mine runs high..75 at idle (cold) and 95 at 2000 rpm and 120 degrees, despite adjustment of the PRV..I'm running the Tempest AA 48108-2 right now..have heard comments from engine people I respect that the pressures are lower with the Champion.

The Tempest filter as personally observed on an 0-320 in an R22 helicopter will raise oil temps. Still below red line, but considerably warmer. Switching back to the Champion results in 10-20 Deg F reduction in indicated stabilized oil temp. The only possible explanation is reduced flow in the Tempest compared to greater flow in the Champion filters.

Doesn't seem likely, for two reasons.

The pump is constant displacement. Restriction would make pressure rise, but flow in gallons per minute would remain about the same. That said, it won't rise much; if the filter element is or becomes restrictive, the filter bypass will open at something like 15 psi deltaP.

I agree with your logic, however we tried both a few times and I am quite confident in the observations and temperature changes.
If I can find some new in box old filters I will make a video.

Last edited:
Yes the pump is positive displacement, if the pressure climbs above the bypass point the bypass valve opens and it dumps the oil back in the sump. So I can see how there may be a flow difference.

1. Champion 48108-1 is interchangeable for 48108-2.....

My last annual in August, found that the Champion 48108-1 had a different thread than the Tempest 48108-2. Turns out that this evidently changed several years ago as my notes say that I used to use the Champions. Now they don't make an oil filter for my C180's engine, according to their oil filter use-on list. The Tempest 48108-2 fits fine.

Dave

My last annual in August, found that the Champion 48108-1 had a different thread than the Tempest 48108-2. Turns out that this evidently changed several years ago as my notes say that I used to use the Champions. Now they don't make an oil filter for my C180's engine, according to their oil filter use-on list. The Tempest 48108-2 fits fine.

Dave

Both state they are 3/4” 16 threads. Wonder if there was a packaging or labelling error on that batch (oh dear, certified mfgrs would never screw up like that!… ha!)
I have some 109 & 103 filters on the shelf & one of them is a 13/16” thread…
The 110 filters are 3/4”, if I recall correctly (which is an outie, as opposed to the 108 which is an innie)

Last edited:
Yes the pump is positive displacement, if the pressure climbs above the bypass point the bypass valve opens and it dumps the oil back in the sump. So I can see how there may be a flow difference.

The filter adapter bypass doesn't dump to the sump. It merely bypasses the filter element.

Attachments

• Lyc Oil Filter Adapter 1.jpg
    Lyc Oil Filter Adapter 1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 201
  • Lyc Oil Filter Adapter 2.jpg
    Lyc Oil Filter Adapter 2.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 186

Do you mean Oil Pressure Relief Valve??

The Champion has 2 x the # of holes between the O ring and the centre hole.

Equivalent filters Champion CH 48108-1 and Tempest AA 48108-2 both have 8 holes with the diameter of the holes slightly bigger on the Tempest filter.

I have the filter adapter that positions the 48108 filter more vertical than horizontal and have found that the Champion filter drains out into the sump over a number of days whereas the Tempest stays full. With the engine not being run for a number of days, with the Tempest oil pressure rises immediately but takes a couple of seconds with the Champion while the filter is presumably filling??
Anyone else noticed this?

Fin 9A

Equivalent filters Champion CH 48108-1 and Tempest AA 48108-2 both have 8 holes with the diameter of the holes slightly bigger on the Tempest filter.

I have the filter adapter that positions the 48108 filter more vertical than horizontal and have found that the Champion filter drains out into the sump over a number of days whereas the Tempest stays full. With the engine not being run for a number of days, with the Tempest oil pressure rises immediately but takes a couple of seconds with the Champion while the filter is presumably filling??

Fin 9A

I knocked a hole in my Tempest filter 48108-2(with vertical adapter like yours) and came back a couple days later thinking the oil would be drained out, and when I took it off it still had oil in it and made a mess. I was thinking the oil would drain out. I have not tried this with a Champion filter

Question: My oil filter adapter sits at an angle (10 oclock approx) counter clockwise off vertical. I assume the Vernatherm valve is the large safety tied nut just below the filter on the adapter. If I remove the vernatherm to test it, should I be prepared to lose the contents of my oil filter (huge mess)?

Thanks to DanH for posting the cut away photos of the filter adapter. Very educational.

Yes, I saw this when I didn't fly for 11 days. After only a couple of days the oil pressure comes up quickly.

Oil Pressure on startup HB-YMM 20210923.png

OilPressureRiseStartup.png

So, the blue line is the Champion and the Yellow line is the Tempest?

On my graphs, blue is the oil pressure and yellow is the engine RPM. The scale at the bottom is time in seconds. The idea is to show how long after the engine starts turning for the oil pressure to get up to a reasonable number, like 55psi.

Digging a bit deeper

Doesn't seem likely, for two reasons.

The pump is constant displacement. Restriction would make pressure rise, but flow in gallons per minute would remain about the same. That said, it won't rise much; if the filter element is or becomes restrictive, the filter bypass will open at something like 15 psi deltaP.

Well Dan I must thank you for posting your response.

In an effort to fully understand what the cause could be.
The factory Lyc. filter housing does have a bypass that would open and allow excess flow if the filter can intake holes did not have sufficient cross section to handle the pump output. However.....
On the R22 a B&C specialties STC'd 90 degree filter adapter is used. I had to look at a lot of photos and could not see a bypass. So then I downloaded B&C's continuing certificate of airworthiness - as STC'd equipment almost always have.

http://https://bandc.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/ica-bc700.pdf

"The OFA (Oil Filter Adapter) is engraved with the words “USE ONLY CHAMPION PN CH48108 OR PN CH 48109". These filters not only meet the dimensional requirements of the OFA but also provide the required oil filter bypass valve. The OFA does not provide this bypass valve. Use of a filter without a bypass valve could result in loss of oil pressure or engine lubricating oil if the filter becomes partially or completely blocked."

On a Robinson R22 the mount is located in a very tight and out of sight location.

I have not yet found an older 4 hole tempest filter to measure the hole dia. and calculate total cross section area, but the flow had to be slightly marginal and no doubt loaded the pump drive. The engine made 200 over TBO and was remanufactured and is back in service with only Champion filters since.

I have not studied or gone looking for the Homebuilt models of B&C filter adapters, but I suspect they also might not have a pressure relief built in.

EDIT : I just checked B&C's homebuilt Oil Filter Adapter info and the same certificate with instructions indicates there is no internal bypass in the Homebuilt OFA's either.

It is amazing what you find for details when you go looking.

Last edited:
Both state they are 3/4” 16 threads. Wonder if there was a packaging or labelling error on that batch (oh dear, certified mfgrs would never screw up like that!… ha!)....

One was 1/16"diameter different than the other. Don't remember the actual sizes. I'd bought two of the Champion from Spruce and both were the same. I replaced them with two Tempest and they both fit.I no longer have the Champion ones.

Dave

On the R22 a B&C specialties STC'd 90 degree filter adapter is used. I had to look at a lot of photos and could not see a bypass. So then I downloaded B&C's continuing certificate of airworthiness...
"The OFA (Oil Filter Adapter) is engraved with the words “USE ONLY CHAMPION PN CH48108 OR PN CH 48109". These filters not only meet the dimensional requirements of the OFA but also provide the required oil filter bypass valve.

Yes, 48108 and 48109 part numbers are usually associated with Continental applications, and do have a pressure relief valve in the filter. Both Champion and Tempest 08/09 filters have an internal pressure relief....12-14 psi deltaP per Tempest literature. When B&C designed their adapter, specifying an 08/09 filter eliminated the additional cost and production error risk of including a relief in the adapter.

I posted photos the classic AC-style adapter most often seen on Lycomings, which use a 48110 or 48111 filter without an internal bypass. Either way, internal or external, same result.

Last edited:
Switch to Tempest?

Am I about to make a big mistake by switching to Tempest?

Confession: This question is regarding my flying O-360 Piper Cherokee; But, here in the near future I'll be flying my IO-360 RV-7 and I'll likely have the same question.

Champion out of stock and estimated to ship August 8th
Tempest out of stock but estimated to ship April 5th

Tempest ~$11.25 per filter cheaper. What am I missing? Is there a significant quality difference?

Attachments

• Tempest.png
    Tempest.png
    135.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Champion.png
    Champion.png
    115.8 KB · Views: 101
Am I about to make a big mistake by switching to Tempest?

Confession: This question is regarding my flying O-360 Piper Cherokee; But, here in the near future I'll be flying my IO-360 RV-7 and I'll likely have the same question.

Champion out of stock and estimated to ship August 8th
Tempest out of stock but estimated to ship April 5th

Tempest ~$11.25 per filter cheaper. What am I missing? Is there a significant quality difference?

You are where I was 20-years ago. At that time I was looking at the difference between Kelly, Champion, and Tempest (or some other throw away spin on filter).

Champion was more expensive but when cut open, there was not a lot of difference. Maybe (I am saying maybe) the Champion had one additional pleat but maybe no.

I did not find that the Champion was worth the extra money of the Kelly filter. Since Kelly filters are no longer available, I have been using Tempest filters. When I need filters, I typically buy a case of six (6) from Aircraft Spruce.

Just my opinion.

Yes I have an A&P license for 25-years but am retired from working as an engineer.

I look for FAA/PMA label on parts. That typically means the part meets some minimum standard.

Back