What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel pump mounting (old QB fuselage)

SabreFlyr

Well Known Member
Sponsor
My QB fuselage is about 6 years old (purchased from a previous builder...and I ain't building quick! :rolleyes:). Just tried mounting my Andair PX375-TC fuel pump and there is about a .115" inch difference in the longitudinal distance between the screw holes in the fuel pump and the nut plate holes in the mounts. I MAY be able to get them approximately aligned using a drift pin for leverage in one of the holes but, before I try anything like that, I'd like to hear any concerns or ideas any of you may have. Forward screws are loosely installed in the attached pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1892.jpg
    IMG_1892.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 132
Might try replacing the existing nut plates and use ones with the floating screw hole. I’m not sure how much slack that will buy you but worth checking out.

Erich

Could you gently bend the bracket slightly at the 90 degree angle where it attaches to tunnel? (I'd use something like a seamer tool if it was me) I doubt that would be structural issue.

Last edited:
Might try replacing the existing nut plates and use ones with the floating screw hole. I’m not sure how much slack that will buy you but worth checking out.

A good thought, Erich. I'll hold that one in the wings in the event nothing better comes up.

Could you gently bend the bracket slightly at the 90 degree angle where it attaches to tunnel? (I'd use something like a seamer tool if it was me) I doubt that would be structural issue.

Yeah, I think I'm going to give that a try. The issue is how the nut plates interfere with getting a decent grip with the seamer. I could drill out the rivets to remove the nut plates and then replace them but I'm wondering if there might be a better way (have no idea what that might be). But, that idea could also incorporate Erich's floating nut plate idea.

You should be able to bend both the forward and aft brackets enough to line up the holes.

Back