Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 09-08-2022, 10:44 AM

Default O-320 Engine change??

I have a RV7 I purchased that has a O-320 (160 HP) engine with a fixed pitch propeller. Not sure of pitch or type of propeller. I am unable to put a constant speed propeller on it that I know of. It runs great and I am enjoying the 150 Knots of GS but it can very slow on take off in the summer with fuel and a second person on board. Based in DFW area. I've talked with most others who at least have a O-360 (180 HP constant speed prop) engine on their 7's. So I am considering a change in the future to:

1. O-360 (180 hp with constant speed prop)
2. IO-360 (200 hp with constant speed prop)
3. other options???

Looking for opinions and why. I believe both of the above will work with the same engine mount and I know I will have to redo the cowling for sure. This I will have to research more. I am a fan of fuel injected and I have tons of experience with the IO-360 and being a wonderful engine but is 200 HP to much? Looking for options and good combinations of prop and engine, even if it is keeping the 160 hp with a different prop.

Last edited by Koelemon68 : 09-08-2022 at 08:36 PM. Reason: more information
Old 09-08-2022, 11:09 AM

All engines can have one of three mount styles - conical, dynafocal, dynafocal II (relatively uncommon)

IO-360's come in both parallel valve - 180hp and angle valve - 200hp.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 09-08-2022 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-08-2022, 11:17 AM

You can never have too much hp.
Old 09-08-2022, 11:41 AM

My Rocket weighs 1200 pounds and has 330+ HP.

I'd like 50 more HP.

There is no such thing as "too much" HP.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
RV-8 - SDS CPI - SOLD
Old 09-08-2022, 12:25 PM

More info needed
What engine / prop do you have now?
What performance factors with the current engine do you not like?
What performance return do you want?
What budget are you willing to pay for this performance boost?
Old 09-08-2022, 02:05 PM

Default If you are only concerned with cruise speed.........

HP makes very little difference on cruise speed. If you have a problem with current take-off and climb, you might consider a change. Otherwise, keep on ginning!
Do you have 150 or 160 hp? If you have 150 and it come time for overhaul, you might consider changing pistons to 8.5 - 9 compression ratio.

Another consideration is a C/S prop. Some O-320s can use C/S, others cannot.

First we need to know what you have and what you desire.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 09-08-2022, 02:35 PM

My RV-6A has an O-360 (180 hp) with a CS Hartzell. I cruise at 60% power (108 hp) and see 155 KTAS.
An O-320 (160 hp) in my airplane run at 67.5% power would yield the same cruise speed.
I find that I have more than adequate power for economical cruising, but the extra power comes in handy when I visit airports where the density altitude is over 10,000 ft.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:37 PM

I have updated the information with more detail:

I have a RV7 I purchased that has a O-320 (160 HP) engine with a fixed pitch propeller. Not sure of pitch or type of propeller. I am unable to put a constant speed propeller on it that I know of. It runs great and I am enjoying the 150 Knots of GS but it can very slow on take off in the summer with fuel and a second person on board. Based in DFW area. I've talked with most others who at least have a O-360 (180 HP constant speed prop) engine on their 7's. So I am considering a change in the future to:

1. O-360 (180 hp with constant speed prop)
2. IO-360 (200 hp with constant speed prop)
3. other options???

Looking for opinions and why. I believe both of the above will work with the same engine mount and I know I will have to redo the cowling for sure. This I will have to research more. I am a fan of fuel injected and I have tons of experience with the IO-360 and being a wonderful engine but is 200 HP to much? Looking for options and good combinations of prop and engine, even if it is keeping the 160 hp with a different prop.[/quote]
Old 09-08-2022, 08:40 PM

Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koupster View Post
My RV-6A has an O-360 (180 hp) with a CS Hartzell. I cruise at 60% power (108 hp) and see 155 KTAS.
An O-320 (160 hp) in my airplane run at 67.5% power would yield the same cruise speed.
I find that I have more than adequate power for economical cruising, but the extra power comes in handy when I visit airports where the density altitude is over 10,000 ft.
I have an 0-360 9:1 185HP with CS Hartzell and see the same results as David. Where the extra power comes in handy, is at density altitude airports which I frequent in the West.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:06 PM

I am still building, so I don't have direct experience, but I just went through the engine/prop decision, so I will tell you my opinions.
1) As stated above, there is no such thing as too much power. There may be control system issues, but never too much power. That said, there is such thing as too much weight and too little money.
2) more power with a fixed pitch is almost, but not quite as good as a C/S prop with less.
3) Angle valve engines are heavy and expensive, and they only have more power at the top end of the rpm range. Can help with T/O with a C/S prop, but of no real value with a fixed in climb. You have to be able to get to max rpm and a fixed won't get you there.

In my opinion, the sweet spot of performance, weight and cost is a 180HP (I)O-360 with a C/S prop. If that is too pricey, do a fixed pitch. If it is too heavy (which it isn't) go with a C/S and an (I)O-320. The perfect choice for a 6 or 7 (or 9 for that matter) to me is a 180HP IO-360 with a C/S prop and P-mags. If I already had an O-320, though, I would put a C/S prop on it (if I could) and call it good unless the engine needed to be replaced. New engines are ridiculously expensive.

Tim