Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 08-10-2022, 09:35 PM

Close to a half century ago, I got my ATP in a Cherokee (single engine ATP) to get my application to stand out since the airlines hadn't hired for several years and I was approaching hire by (or not - 30 years old at the time) date. Passed the written and hired the Cherokee for a few hours to practice before the checkride. I think it helped my application stand out. You may find that it makes you more competitive for a better starting position.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Does a regional care about where you flew the time? Is there a bonus for flying boxes in a Caravan or for any other 135 operator? Or do the regionals only care about 1500 hours?
The regionals are hemorrhaging pilots because the majors are hiring like never before. At 1500 hours you’ll most likely be able to pick which one, as I’d expect all of them to be interviewing you. They’re actually getting people into class with a bit less than 1500 hours, as level D sims count towards total time. Many have (or recently had) significant signing bonuses as well. It’s a remarkable time we’re in.

Any 135 time will make regional training easier. The more legs, the better. The more hand flying you do, the better. There’s been a slow decline in hand flying skills over the last decade or so, and I firmly believe it’s because pilots are no longer flying auto parts and cancelled checks around with no autopilot in beat up old Barons, Aerostars and 310s (and tons of other similar jobs). Those guys (and gals) were GOOD. Crappy jobs for sure, but they produced some exceptional pilots. Even the turboprops required some skills, as the autopilots were merely ok - you still had to hand fly a lot, as well as most approaches.

But those jobs are mostly gone now, and that’s where pilots developed some really good flying skills, risk and workload management, and SA. Now, pilots jump from instructing straight into the right seat of an RJ with auto throttles, VNAV, really good autopilots and a second crew member. Flying skills are atrophying (or simply not developing) as a result.

Even a few hundred hours in a Caravan will make you a better pilot. Is it absolutely necessary? No, but 135 flying isn’t THAT much different from 121, and you’ll be much more familiar with how a scheduled airline works when you show up to Basic Indoc at any regional. Plus, you’re getting paid (albeit just barely), and not putting time on your plane. You will someday look fondly upon your time ‘slumming’ it 8 legs a day in a Caravan/Kodiak/1900.

It’s an incredible time for pilot hiring. Now’s as good a time as I’ve ever seen it for those wanting to make the jump. It’s an incredible job (though it can be a challenging career), and I’m so fortunate to be one of the lucky ones who loves going to work each day.
RV-8 under construction
Old 08-10-2022, 11:28 PM

In todays market, the regionals don’t care where you got your time. I flew a Caravan for 1500 hours before I got to the regionals, and it was awesome!! Later, it was good to check the “1,500 Turbine PIC” box. Some majors want Turbine PIC (single or multi) and the caravan was an easy way to get there. Twin turbine PIC is better, and Jet PIC is better yet. The wholly grail of flight time seems to be Multi JET part 121 PIC, but even the majors are hiring regional co-pilots right out of the right seat!
RV-8 empenage finished 10-2020

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Old 08-11-2022, 12:00 AM

Scenic is hiring Twin Otter pilots. That would be a blast for a year or two. Commercial, multi, 40 hours of night and 25 x-country. Doesn’t say what TT they require. I’ve flown with a bunch of people who built time there.

https://jobs.scenic.com/jobs/20210821-01-gcsa-fo.html
RV-8 under construction
Old 08-11-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8ER View Post
Does a regional care about where you flew the time? Is there a bonus for flying boxes in a Caravan or for any other 135 operator? Or do the regionals only care about 1500 hours?
They don't care at all... providing that you show up with acceptable IFR skills. My sim partner got 1500 towing banners in a Super Cub and he did just fine.

Getting hired at a regional will not be a problem providing that you meet the ATP minimums. Getting through their training program is another matter, and that is where you need good IFR skills and good study habits. This is particularly true if there are a couple decades or more of daylight between you and your college experience.
Milwaukee
Old 08-11-2022, 01:14 PM

With a commercial ticket, 500 hrs TT & 25 hrs ME you can start tomorrow at the aerial survey outfits flying Aztecs or Navajos. Quick time building.
If you need a referral, let me know.

George
Old 09-12-2022, 08:32 AM

Default Update

I logged 97.1 hours in the first (30) days after deciding to head the ATP route. This month will focus on the commercial written and the twin/commercial ticket.

1091.2 hours and counting.
Currently building the -8
www.N7ZK.com
"How's it feel to be the fastest plane in the sky? You were spanking two Cirrus planes, a Mooney, and another plane. I took screen shots" - Quote from the best wife in the world.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:10 AM

United's FNG class this week:
Oldest 55, retired FBI agent
Youngest: 23
Class size: 65.
Next week's class: 70.

New hires are going directly into the 787.
Ramping up for 100/week soon.

Anyone up for a career change?
Old 09-12-2022, 10:28 AM

Speaking of, look into United's Aviate program. I don't know the specifics, but they seem to have a couple of different career paths depending on your experience
Old 09-12-2022, 11:55 AM

Default …and

You may want to post the average total time, too. It is likely much higher than 1500 hours…

RV-10-ER
N464RL
Going to Paint at Evoke!
Garmin G3X-T, Barrett EFII S32, CAI, MTV-9B

Dues+ Paid 2021,...Thanks DR+