Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 09-19-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlogic View Post
Lately, I have used a small Inogen concentrator. I even have a splitter and my wife and I keep 95% saturation at 14K
Same, works great, and runs forever on ship power. Very nice when flying over big rocks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7641.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	31218

I prefer photos without wings in them, but I know Dan57 loves them, so I try to ensure that I have a wing in every pic I take!

http://www.rv8.ch/help-people-in-ukraine/
Old 09-20-2022, 07:31 AM

Default Which One?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlogic View Post
Lately, I have used a small Inogen concentrator. I even have a splitter and my wife and I keep 95% saturation at 14K
Which Inogen do you have?
Ed
Exempt but happily paid for 2022
Old 09-20-2022, 04:11 PM

side question to those of you doing brew your own type set-ups...

How much energy do you put into cleaning and keeping the system clean? the installed piping, fittings, etc...

A long time ago I went through some training for technical SCUBA while training for my Trimix diver cert., I also trained to be certified as a mixed gas blender and an equipment repair tech. It was beaten into my head with a sledge hammer that anything that will see high concentrations of O2 needs to be CLEAN...especially de-greased...but generally Clean with a capital C...to avoid an explosion hazard.
I never really understood how real world realistic the concern is.

While I was doing all that, my instructor sold me some old surplus O2 tank, looked to be military, maybe a bail-out bottle. It was a steel cylinder wrapped with a continuous wire strand, very small diameter wire. I've forgotten the markings that were stenciled on it, but it looked military.
The hydro test shop stripped off the wire to my disgust, but it passed hydro, and I used it to set up a home brew portable system. Bout a regulator and canula set-up from Mountain High I think it was..... still have that system stored in the back of some closet, never used it. Probably no good now.

Anyway, I was curious about maintaining a system in an aircraft.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edclee View Post
Which Inogen do you have?
Ed
I know you did not ask me, but I use the Inogen G5.
Exempt, but donated 2022.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:28 PM

The only thing that really needs to be cleaned or degreased from a safety standpoint is the high pressure side, which in my home-brew setup is the end of the regulator that attaches directly to the bottle (and technically the inside of the regular guts, but I don't have access to that, and I don't oil it, for obvious reason). The rest is very low pressure O2, and passed out through the line quickly. If you keep things generally clean and put up when not in use, you shouldn't have to worry about it.

I have noticed that if you turn off the flow (for example prep for landing), but continue to wear the cannula (mine are Oxymizers), it builds up condensation in the line from your breath back flowing into the line, so I remove them from my head once the flow is off.

Otherwise, when I get home, I run some alcohol down the line, blow some fresh air through, and put them away for next use. The Oxymizer cannulas are about $20 apiece, so I reuse them until the line or pendant doesn't feel flexible anymore.
Old 09-21-2022, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
I know you did not ask me, but I use the Inogen G5.
I also use the G5 - works great. I bought it second-hand but it had never been used, and I saved a mint. I was watching the markets for a while before this one popped up. Powered by the built-in battery or plug it into an aux 12v power outlet.

Old 09-27-2022, 08:58 PM

Whatever you do for tank, I'm a big big fan of the mile high o2d2 system. I've flown for years in turbo singles a d they really make your o2 last. For me it wasn't about cost savings but convenience of not having to fill for a long time or on a trip.
Old 09-27-2022, 10:38 PM

Default I dont trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blw2 View Post
s

While I was doing all that, my instructor sold me some old surplus O2 tank, looked to be military, maybe a bail-out bottle. It was a steel cylinder wrapped with a continuous wire strand, very small diameter wire. I've forgotten the markings that were stenciled on it, but it looked military.
The hydro test shop stripped off the wire to my disgust, but it passed hydro, and I used it to set up a home brew portable system. Bout a regulator and canula set-up from Mountain High I think it was..... still have that system stored in the back of some closet, never used it. Probably no good now.

Anyway, I was curious about maintaining a system in an aircraft.
I picked up one of those tanks surplus during my time at A&P school. My instructor said they were very dangerous and they were recalled/banned for aviation use and for oxygen use. He cautioned me that I could use it for air, but only very low pressure. I am surprised yours passed hydro. I am just passing along what I heard. YMMV.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2022, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
98% done, 2% left to go
To Go: wing mounting, engine baffles, wing tips, move to airport
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 09-28-2022, 11:04 AM

Where you guys getting your Inogen G5 units and how much did you pay if I may ask?

I was going to go medical but I was denied by my doctor a script for it. The only way I could get a fill is if I go with welding oxygen. If I'm going to pay big bucks for a setup I mind as well go concentrator, especially if it works that good for 2 people at 14.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Where you guys getting your Inogen G5 units and how much did you pay if I may ask? ...
I got mine for about $1500 on a French website which is like ebay: https://www.leboncoin.fr/ It was new, never used. I was keeping an eye out for a G5 for a few months before I found this one, so you might have to be patient.