Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 09-28-2022, 06:23 AM

Is there a trick to using an impact wrench to tighten an alternator pulley nut like this?

My total impact wrench experience is with automobile wheel lug-nuts, and with removing the nut on the alternator. My cheapo air powered impact wrench has a button to change the direction, and the button has 1-5 numbers indicated on it which can be selected by rotating. The button will rotate freely 360 degrees without detents. I don't see much difference no matter how I rotate that button.

The impact wrench documentation says it will do about 450 ft-lbs at 90 psi (converted from metric to freedom units). I'm guessing that the torque needed on this M14x1.5 nut is probably closer to 70 ft-lbs, so anyone know if there is a trick to using an impact wrench to tighten an alternator pulley nut?

The Google consensus seems to be to use the TLAR method - hit it with the impact wrench and call it a day.

http://www.rv8.ch/help-people-in-ukraine/
Old 09-28-2022, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8ch View Post
Is there a trick to using an impact wrench to tighten an alternator pulley nut like this?

My total impact wrench experience is with automobile wheel lug-nuts, and with removing the nut on the alternator. My cheapo air powered impact wrench has a button to change the direction, and the button has 1-5 numbers indicated on it which can be selected by rotating. The button will rotate freely 360 degrees without detents. I don't see much difference no matter how I rotate that button.

The impact wrench documentation says it will do about 450 ft-lbs at 90 psi (converted from metric to freedom units). I'm guessing that the torque needed on this M14x1.5 nut is probably closer to 70 ft-lbs, so anyone know if there is a trick to using an impact wrench to tighten an alternator pulley nut?

The Google consensus seems to be to use the TLAR method - hit it with the impact wrench and call it a day.
I dial down the force on the impact for installing a pulley nut. However, it is not overly critical. The key is to grip the pulley tightly with your other hand. This allows slippage of the pulley before any serious amount of torque gets applied to the nut. It is a taper fit, so 70 ft lbs is not required.

The adjustments cannot produce noticable change when free wheeling, except REALLY LOW levels.
Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 09-28-2022 at 07:31 AM.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:17 AM

Thumbs up This way works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koupster View Post
You can use the belt wrapped around the pulley to make a temporary strap wrench while you use the impact wrench. Best to use a glove on the hand holding the belt.

Cheers, David
KBTF A&P
+1 for getting it going. If not enough, mark the nut clocking and hit with impact wrench for an additional flat.

I was able to use the belt method and torque the nut on a repaired PP EI60.

Nothing but the appearance of this alternator is Denso.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
I dial down the force on the impact for installing a pulley nut. However, it is not overly critical. The key is to grip the pulley tightly with your other hand. This allows slippage of the pulley before any serious amount of torque gets applied to the nut. It is a taper fit, so 70 ft lbs is not required.

The adjustments cannot produce noticable change when free wheeling, except REALLY LOW levels.
Larry
Larry, it is NOT a taper fit. I am absolutely positive.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Larry, it is NOT a taper fit. I am absolutely positive.
Mine is not a taper fit.

Thanks for the tips on tightening this nut.

http://www.rv8.ch/help-people-in-ukraine/
Old 09-28-2022, 09:39 AM

It is definitely not a tapered shaft. That combined with CCW rotation means the V-belt drive torque imparted into the pulley is trying to unscrew the nut, which is why it needs to be torqued to every bit of the 70-ish ft-lbs as called out.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:47 AM

Take it to a auto repair shop. $5. Done