What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Autopilot

Jrskygod

Well Known Member
Is anyone out there doing fully coupled approaches with their RV 7 or 9 Skyview setup?

In my RV 9 I have a Garmin 430 hooked up to my skyview system. I have a SV42 Roll servo and a SV 32 pitch servo I've been doing practice approaches VFR while trying to dial in my system. The roll function works very well with my current settings but not so much for the pitch.

When I'm going down the hill for final and slowing the plane to 90 MPH for flaps the pitch servo starts intermittently slipping and asking for trim up. I do have the autopilot panel and auto trim feature and trim will eventually catch up early on on final. However by the time I get to 800 feet AGL or so and start putting in some flaps the annunciation is steadily indicating trim up and pitch servo slip situation worsens to the point where you can feel the servo banging the controls to the point that I just disconnect the autopilot and hand fly it on in. The trim function also does not respond to my stick switch input while the autopilot is flying so I cant even give it what it needs.

I have tried several different settings per the autopilot in flight tuning guide for sensitivity etc. and some seemed to help a little. I'm thinking I either don't have the correct combination of settings or the servo just is not strong enough for the application.

Any advice here would be most welcome. Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply

. I sent you the requested input. I am also asking the folks here if they have experienced this same or similar performance and possibly what they did to correct it.

ap approaches

I have the best luck leaving the flaps up, flying the approach at 90kt.

I have the same thing with mine...

On an ILS, it keeps asking me to trim up or down...I eventually just disconnect it and hand fly the rest of the approach..

It is a bit annoying...I was hoping the auto-trim will take care of that..:rolleyes:

Bruno

P.S: I'll have a look on the Dynon Forum for suggestions.

Back