VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2022, 10:19 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
FlyLED had several solutions that might work for you. not 100% drop in replacement, but pretty darn close, and Paul is a top notch guy to work with.
Agree 100%. https://flyleds.com/

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 09-24-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
FlyLED had several solutions that might work for you. not 100% drop in replacement, but pretty darn close, and Paul is a top notch guy to work with.
From FlyLED "Add our new Adapter Plate to your Double Spotlight order and you have the simplest drop-in option to upgrade your old rectangular halogen light(s) in your plane."
I don't know if you will be able to find a better drop in LED solution.
Some assembly is required. Contact Paul at FlyLED
https://flyleds.com/products/#!/Doub...026/category=0
Old 09-28-2022, 11:42 PM

Turns out my RV6A has standard H6054 5"x7" automotive halogen dual beam headlights installed behind the wingtip plexiglass (see pics). The low beam is used for the taxi light and the high beam for the landing light. After some extensive review research, I've ruled out the cheap LED replacements that are sold most everywhere and am seriously considering these high-end ($200/each) replacements (https://youtu.be/8Mx48D9MtUg?t=74) because of their proven beam focus and brightness - and also in hopes that the high quality LED bulbs used will not cause any radio interference.
It's the radio interference issue that I've heard about that concerns me the most - but I found an automotive store that says they will allow me to return them if they cause interference - so I guess it's worth a try - UNLESS anyone here knows of a different LED replacement for the H6054 sealed beam bulb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	120601.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	31641  Click image for larger version

Name:	120604.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	31642  
Old 09-29-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbier99 View Post
Turns out my RV6A has standard H6054 5"x7" automotive halogen dual beam headlights installed behind the wingtip plexiglass (see pics). The low beam is used for the taxi light and the high beam for the landing light. After some extensive review research, I've ruled out the cheap LED replacements that are sold most everywhere and am seriously considering these high-end ($200/each) replacements (https://youtu.be/8Mx48D9MtUg?t=74) because of their proven beam focus and brightness - and also in hopes that the high quality LED bulbs used will not cause any radio interference.
It's the radio interference issue that I've heard about that concerns me the most - but I found an automotive store that says they will allow me to return them if they cause interference - so I guess it's worth a try - UNLESS anyone here knows of a different LED replacement for the H6054 sealed beam bulb.
In the process of putting two Baja Squadron Sports, replacing the car headlight in a buddy’s 4. Required a new mount that was easy to fabricate, but big improvement.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cth6 View Post
In the process of putting two Baja Squadron Sports, replacing the car headlight in a buddy’s 4. Required a new mount that was easy to fabricate, but big improvement.
If these replacements don't work out I will have to fabricate a mounting plate to accommodate a true aviation landing/taxi light set-up.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:49 PM

We bought the round lampless kit from Duckworks. After looking it over, we decided to just cut the existing rectangular mount into a round shape. So the only part we used from the kit was the round retaining bracket but the result was really good. Now have round Par 36 landing and taxi lights.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:44 PM

Just back from the hanger - where we installed the replacement LED bulbs. They were nearly 100% plug and play - we just had to grind down about 1/4" of an alignment tap on each light for it to slide into the existing mounting framework.
Both the taxi and landing lights (dual filament) are much brighter and whiter than the H6054 5"x7" automotive halogen dual beam lights they replaced - and are very nicely focused.
So far our testing indicates no radio interference.
I was hesitant to pay $200/each ($400 total) but am so far extremely pleased.
So if anyone else out there has H6054 5"x7" automotive halogen dual beam lights as their landing/taxi lights and wants to convert to LED - the Holley RetroBrights are a great option (https://youtu.be/8Mx48D9MtUg?t=74).

Last edited by dbier99 : 09-30-2022 at 10:47 PM.