What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Covers for RV-7A and RV-9A Main Gear Mounts

Jim Ellis

Well Known Member
I always thought that the main landing gear mounts in front of the spar on my RV-9A had an unfinished look to them. As I was looking at the RV-7A that I am now building, I wondered if I couldn't come up with some kind of a cover for them. Since I have the -9A flying there is no urgency to complete the -7A so taking on a new and time consuming project is an interesting challenge.

Here's what the gear mounts on -7A and the -9A look like before.

v3Okkix.jpg

And here's what they look like with the covers I fabricated.

tLcfHBI.jpg

7wCunao.jpg

I went through six sets of paper patterns before I got the close fit I wanted.

KGTCkhD.jpg

Using the final patterns I was able to create a full size fabrication drawing that looks like this.

YelxjIW.jpg

The covers are made from a sheet of .025 aluminum that I had lying around. If you don't have a big scrap pile like I do (and after two planes I have a big scrap pile) you can order a sheet of .025 aluminum from Van's that will make both covers. On Van's "List" the part number is F-430, AS3-025 X 18 1/2 X 29 1/4, for around $25.00.

I laid out the parts on the sheet aluminum, drilled some 1/4" bend relief holes and zipped them out on the band saw. The parts for both the left and right covers are identical. The only difference is the direction that you bend the flanges.

5UT99M8.jpg

Six bends are needed to form each box and these were easily done with a small bending brake.

4gyuHOp.jpg

I used a protractor and seaming pliers to fine tune the bends as needed. The parts are fastened together with AN426AD3-3.5 rivets spaced about an inch apart. Most of the rivets can be back riveted. Figuring out the riveting sequence of the parts is really the only tricky step in doing this. From the pictures you will see that flanges on the cap piece (Drawing Part C) are positioned on the outside of the cover.

To attach the completed covers I made four angled 9/16" wide tabs from .032 aluminum. These are riveted on the top of the covers and fastened to the spar cover with four 1/2" x 8-32 truss head screws and nutplates.

reLwwMc.jpg

The covers weigh 7 ounces each before painting for a combined total weight of less than a pound.

I am very pleased with the results. With a little paint work these covers are going to look terrific and, because of the way they are angled, not a bad place to rest your leg. If you really want to get fancy you could cover them with a little carpet, fabric, or leather.

Now if I could just figure out how to install a cup holder in them that would be great!

If you would like to make these covers for yourself see Post #8 in this thread for a full size drawing that can be used as templates for the parts.

Last edited:
Wow Jim those really look great! I hear ya about a cup holder, I often put my sports water bottle in that little triangular space.

Jim, great looking work, pretty sure other folks will be all over this for their birds. Are you going to have the cut sheet available as a PDF or some such??

Any thoughts to put in a door, and make them into storage cubby holes??

Last edited:
gear cover

Beautiful work! It is really hard to get all those measurements to work out.

I left mine uncovered and found that they make a perfect resting place for my headsets.

Ok, that is cool!

I love it when something cool like this shows up on this site. How creative!

I like to use the weldments as a step for climbing out. I'm not a small guy, and I'm sure my foot would crush those. It sure cleans up the look, though.

Full Size Templates for Covers

Thanks all for your glowing comments! I hoped that others might want to make similar covers for themselves.

I have created a JPEG file, ?GEAR WELDMENT COVER PATTERNS?, for a full size 18? x 24? template drawing that I will be happy to send to anyone that requests it by email with the word ?COVER? in the subject line.

The drawing file is provided for everyone's individual, personal, non-commercial use only.

Most Kinko?s, OfficeMax, and Office Depot stores that have oversize printing capability can reproduce the JPEG drawing full size. Just make sure that both the vertical and horizontal dimensions on the drawing scale correctly. Borrow a ruler and check several dimensions before you accept the print. Incorrect print setups may distort the aspect ratio or the enlargement of the file.

Send your request to: [email protected] with the word ?COVER? in the subject line and I will send you a reply with the drawing file attached.

Enjoy!

Very nice Jim. It will give the plane a finished look. The more "finished" it looks, the more confident it makes people that have no idea it is possible to build an airplane to take a flight.

Thanks for the idea. I think I might have to give it a try.

Covers

We did something similar, making the 'boxes out of plastic sheeting, and covering them with the leather we used in the upholstery. Light, easy to fabricate and install. Yours look great!

Back