What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Safety Wire for Alt tension arm bolts

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
I've mounted my PlanePower alternator and I'm ready to safety wire the 2 tension arm bolts but I'm not sure what's the acceptable technique. The bolts are relatively far apart (5 or so inches) so I'm unsure if it's OK to safety them together even with that much space between them or to safety them separately to the engine or the tension arm (not sure if that's OK either as there's really no dedicated place to do that near either of the bolts). 43-13 is of no help -- what have others done?

There are a few ways to do this. You can safety wire through the slot in the arm, which is not ideal, or drill a small hole in the arm for the safety wire to go through which I prefer. I have done it both ways.

Man I'm an idiot -- Thanks! I like the hole idea -- I don't know know why I couldn't see that, I mean it's not like I haven't done the exact same thing elsewhere per the doggone plans!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Drilled the holes like others said.

IMG_2489.JPG

If you drill the hole to safety to, make sure you deburr it and prime it, or you'll fall out of the sky. :cool:

By drilling the hole close to the bolt, it is really hard to remove and replace the safety wire when the fly wheel is installed. I would preinstall the flywheel and decide where you want to drill the hole for easy removal and install as you need to loosen this nut when installing a new belt or adjusting tension on the belt. I just run a long safety wire from the nut to the bolt on the alternator tension bolt with the wire running through the slot to keep tight against the bracket.:cool:

Back