Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 09-12-2022, 12:30 PM

Default Careers ?

Iíve been with the premier fractional provider for the last 21 years and itís been really good. They are hiring as well these days. Worth considering as well. Pm me if you wish.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer
Old 09-20-2022, 01:54 PM

My company just announced a Vacancy Bid this morning. Great time to be a FNG if you're thinking about a career change. I was just at our training center for recurrent, we're running 70/week, ramping up for 100/week. Youngest was 24 (I have airshow t-shirts older than him!), Oldest gent was 55, he was planning on sitting reserve from home and enjoying his retirement job as an airline pilot. Several other pilots came from other reputable airlines (not South FL bottom feeders) because at their old gig they'd be career 73/Airbus pilots, and they were leaping at the chance to fly widebodies.

But then again, in 3 months something could happen to the economy and you'd be the first one on the street. It's not a career, it's a lottery.

Last edited by Steve Crewdog : 09-20-2022 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:05 PM

Default Update

1. I finished the last project at my old (self) employment. As luck (or planning) would have it, the project was inside the gate at an airport. This wrapped out almost 2200 hours on the spider lift. My business is now shut down and all associated equipment is for sale (think Cortez burning his ships). Know anyone looking for a grapple truck? Hahaha. Its full time aviation training moving forward.

2. I logged my first 1.1 in a twin and bought 20 hours in it. A fair number of people call their RV-XX time machines. This Seminole was a time machine too, except this one went back in time filled with steam gauges and 430s.

I was listening to an NPR discussion a few years back talking about research that showed study participants remembered how often they experienced pain/displeasure and not the severity of that displeasure. I figured this makes sense so I bought block time with one check. I felt pain handing it over and now each time I will climb out of the twin it will feel like it was free........ or so I am trying to convince myself.

Currently building the -8
www.N7ZK.com
"How's it feel to be the fastest plane in the sky? You were spanking two Cirrus planes, a Mooney, and another plane. I took screen shots" - Quote from the best wife in the world.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:15 PM

That's awesome, Tim, you could not have picked a better time to chase the dream. Get your resumes out to Skywest, etc., all they can do is say No. But they also might say "Call us when you have XYZ many hours, we've got a class waiting for you."

I wonder how many of this generation have read Fate is the Hunter?
Old 09-28-2022, 07:26 PM

Excellent thread about making the jump: https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/c...ll-street.html
Old 10-09-2022, 08:58 PM

Default Update

Friday I scored a 96 on the commercial written and scheduled by multi/commercial check ride for October 28th. I currently have 1.1 in a twin.
Accelerating uphill.

1,136.9 TT (have added 142.8 hours from the time I decided to pursue an ATP)
www.N7ZK.com
"How's it feel to be the fastest plane in the sky? You were spanking two Cirrus planes, a Mooney, and another plane. I took screen shots" - Quote from the best wife in the world.
Old 11-07-2022, 03:02 PM

Default Update

(30) days after passing the commercial written (10/07/22) and,
(1) Flight School
(6) different instructors (only way I could hit my target completion date)
(30.6) multi hours training in Seminole N7719X
and
(2) cancelled check rides due to issues beyond my control

I passed my initial commercial multi this morning. The final landing was 13 gusting 17 and the DPE kindly nudged me to see if I was sure I wanted to continue the test before the final maneuver which was the short field landing (must hit within 100í of pre determined spot ((+100 and Ė 0)).

Flew the airplane on Sunday and halfway through the flight the right gear light would not light up. Came in this morning at 7am for the check ride and watched the maintenance guys jack the airplane up and replace one of the switches on the right gear. Was not sure they would have it done before the 3 hour and 15 minute oral portion of the test was complete but luckily they got it done and the flight commenced. The clouds and the wind did not end up being a factor although we did fly through some light rain on the way in for the last landing.

1,201.5 total time
32.3 multi

www.N7ZK.com
Old 11-07-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8ER View Post
Friday I scored a 96 on the commercial written and scheduled by multi/commercial check ride for October 28th. I currently have 1.1 in a twin.
Accelerating uphill.

1,136.9 TT (have added 142.8 hours from the time I decided to pursue an ATP)
Congrats on all the progress. I'm amazed you booked a checkride 3 weeks out. DPE's in my area are booking for Feb/Mar already, but might be able to "squeeze me in" in january...