What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailbeaconx EXP wiring - white wire?

CATPart

Well Known Member
Those of you with an EXP Tailbeaconx, did it come with the white wire?

I picked up a tailbeaconx EXP from spruce. It has 5 wires including the white "suppression" wire that the TSO version has.

The EXP manual does not mention the white wire, so I assume it is not supposed to be there on my EXP version.

I messaged uavionix about it and they responded to simply follow the TSO manual. This is fine, no problem, I will ground the white wire.

I wonder if they ran out of exp versions and started slapping the exp label on their tso versions? They did not offer any explanation, but maybe they will get around to it.

I installed the TailbeaconX EXP and cannot remember if there was a white wire. I grabbed my User and Installation guide to see what it shows and I can see that it shows GY, OR, RD, BK. I'm pretty sure that if my unit had an unexplained white wire that wasn't addressed in the Install guide I probably would have been likewise confused.

Anyhow, I'm not yet flying but I know the unit is functioning along with the AV-20S Control head I installed.

Not sure this helps much.

Ryan

My Exp TailbeaconX also has a white wire. I plan to ignore it per the Exp manual as it is listed in the Certified manual as optional. So grounding or not is your choice.

excerpt from TailbeaconX certified manual
". Prepare the aircraft wiring for connection.
a. Install a shielded 24AWG twisted pair cable from the cockpit to
the tailBeaconX installation location. This cable is used for
interface control (data). Installations requiring suppression input
UAV-1004270-001 27
Rev B
should install 3 conductor twisted pair cable. Installations not
requiring suppression input require only 2 conductors.
"

Last edited:
Ralph the TSO manual says

"....The suppression input must be driven to an input
voltage of at least 10 VDC. The input must be connected to ground when
not in use.
"

Maybe ask your local avionics tech what is a suppression circuit in a TSO'd transponder situation iis & would it be needed in an experimental.

DME SUPPRESSION

My avionics guru ….says for DME SUPPRESSION….I do not have DME ,so not needed ….but like the man said ,follow the manual …my legal guru said that

I tied my suppression wire to ground right at the unit.

Attachments

• tailbeaconx_wiring.jpg
    tailbeaconx_wiring.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 128
I confirm what Rob has posted. He has flight tested his tailBeaconX with a huVVer-AVI-TBX control head, and I have bench tested it with my tailBeaconX.

Vern

Back