What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interesting runway your RV has visited

Just found this old thread thanks Ted for creating it. I thought I've seen them all ... Been to couple of those but now have new avenues to explore. Here it comes year 2018 - an annual 1000 flight hours quest. 10TJ (Tom James) are you still with us on VAF? I have couple questions.

Actually, it's a 100' wide grass strip with a 14' paved ribbon down the middle.
I'll see if I can find a picture...
Best,

That's not a "ribbon". That's the centerline! That's what I tell people that complain that I don't have a centerline. I tell them that I have a 20' wide black centerline. Just land on it!

St Barthelemh TFFJ

St Barth is probably my most interesting airport to land at. But there are some favorite ones in Idaho too

Barra, in Scotland

2rfx25s.jpg

This beach is a commercial "airport" with daily flights.

Cheers...Keith

To Vlad

Just found this old thread thanks Ted for creating it. I thought I've seen them all ... Been to couple of those but now have new avenues to explore. Here it comes year 2018 - an annual 1000 flight hours quest. 10TJ (Tom James) are you still with us on VAF? I have couple questions.
Yes I am still here, Vlad. I sure have enjoyed following your travels, particularly your last trip to Alaska. I have made four trips to Alaska, but I cheated by taking a Supercub on bush wheels. Mostly all off-airport.

Tim James

Wolford lake resort, California (SOCAL) 8CL1
Private strip but everyone uses. On a Plateau with 100drop both ends. Fishing and restaurant down the dirt road into town.
Yes in my RV7A.

Dimensions: 1345 x 30 ft. / 410 x 9 m
Surface: treated/dirt, in poor condition
Runway edge markings: RWY 03/21 MARKED WITH LETTER R AT EA END.
RUNWAY 3 RUNWAY 21
Traffic pattern: left left
Runway end identifier lights: no no
Obstructions: none hill, 7500 ft. from runway

E98 T-HANGERS IN BAD COND.
- 100' DROPOFF EACH END OF RWY 03/21.
- MOTEL CAFE AND LAKE NEARBY-LOCK ON GATE, KEY AT RESORT OFFICE.
- PART 77 OBSTR-PARKED ACFT & HANGERS WITHIN PRIMARY SFC.

I landed at several interesting spots within last couple years. They could be called runways and would be perfect spots for RV15 :D

Atlantic coast.

New Hampshire.

Arizona.

Pennsylvania.

Alaska.

West Virginia.

Montana.

Forgotwhere.

Resurrecting the old thread feel free to add your interesting "runways".

Over three years I am in the middle of nowhere. Contrary to the East Coast swimming holes by airports there is nothing here. Luckily I work at Flaming Gorge NRA and made some connections in road departments. After a couple years of begging a Wyoming grader operator finally groomed a remote Forest Service road leading to an abandoned ranch. Couple hundred feet from the lake. Morning winds are calm time to check it out.

Brinegar_Ranch_WY_-_1_(5).jpeg

Packed road over two miles long. Easy landing to the west at elevation of six thousand feet. OAT 25C.

Brinegar_Ranch_WY_-_1_(2).jpeg

Brinegar_Ranch_WY_-_1_(3).jpeg

Parked.

Brinegar_Ranch_WY_-_1_(4).jpeg

Nice surprise walking to the lake.

Brinegar_Ranch_WY_-_1_(6).jpeg

Water is still cold.

Brinegar_Ranch_WY_-_1_(7).jpeg

Sulfur Creek, ID

FD74, gravel strip in Idaho. They serve breakfast, the menu said, Breakfast, yes $25, no $10.

Attachments

• C4D2FEE7-29D8-44C3-89AF-EDBEB8632401.jpg
    C4D2FEE7-29D8-44C3-89AF-EDBEB8632401.jpg
    494 KB · Views: 244
Sulphur's Closed

Come on, Mconnor7, what did you really do last weekend? That's an old photo pre-summer 2021, when all the surrounding forest burned leaving just a ring of green around the buildings.

Sulphur's Closed, runway Xd, for recovery this (2022) year. Take it off your bucket list for now, guys.

John Siebold
Boise, ID

Back