VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
w/a Donation






VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-19-2023, 05:10 PM
bradfp bradfp is offline
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 14
Default Non Iridium or Platinum Long Reach

Anybody know of a long reach automotive spark plug for the IO-390 thatís the standard nickel; NOT iridium, platinum or unobtainium?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-11-2023, 02:21 PM
dmattmul's Avatar
dmattmul dmattmul is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Spring Hill, FL part time Central Ohio the rest
Posts: 1,042
Default PIREP: Short reach adapter and plug in long reach application

IO390 angle valve engine (450 hrs.), from the beginning I have been using short reach plugs and adapter in my engine. (Requires long reach) Did not realize this was incorrect and just used what was sent to me. (My mistake, 5 years ago I didn't know what I didn't know) After reading a recent thread checked mine next oil change and saw I needed LRP's. 2 friends with similar set-ups also had incorrect adapters and plugs installed. Today replaced with LR adapters and long plugs. When I removed the old adapters, I could see quite a lot of carbon build-up in the threads that were not being used. Used a small vacuum hose down one plug and used a thread chaser to clean them up. PITA, after 2 hours finally had all 8 clean. Most took 5 to 6 tapping and removing and cleaning the chase and reoil. Mag checks produced less RPM drop than before and running on one electronic unit could hardly tell I was only firing on one plug. Have not flown it yet and will check the data on Savoy soon. Results may vary. FYI
__________________
RV-14A - TB390, Garmin G3X, EarthX, Beringer Wheels & Brakes, B&C alternators, Flying Aug 2020. Evoke Paint. RV-10 - TB540, Garmin G3X, EarthX, Beringer Wheels & Brakes, B&C alternators, Flying hopefully Spring 2024. Want to build and fly the 15 as my last Vans airframe.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-11-2023, 02:37 PM
bjdecker's Avatar
bjdecker bjdecker is online now
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Georgetown, TX
Posts: 1,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
The IO-390 (like other angle head Lycoming engines) needs long reach plugs (like the IKH-26). The BR8ES is short reach, for parallel valve Lycoming engines.

Carl
Always a good idea to check the source -- see https://www.lycoming.com/sites/defau...%2520Plugs.pdf

All of the -390's need long reach plugs, double check the paint markings to be certain. However, not ALL angle valve engines use long reach plugs -- for example IO-360-Axxx, C, D series use REM38E -- short reach plugs.
__________________
Brian Decker
EAA Technical Counselor
RV-7 (Flying)

Last edited by bjdecker : 09-11-2023 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-11-2023, 05:38 PM
RicoB's Avatar
RicoB RicoB is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Glendale, CA
Posts: 546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpilot View Post
i USE A COOLER PLUG, NGK BR9ES, WORKS GREAT!
What or where do you see the difference by running the 9ES instead of the 8ES?
Can someone school me about the 8's and 9's ? thanks
I run the 8's on mine.
__________________
Rico Burgos
2018- RV9a at AZ82 and KWHP
1959- C-150 (Sold)
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3018529
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-12-2023, 12:08 PM
dmattmul's Avatar
dmattmul dmattmul is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Spring Hill, FL part time Central Ohio the rest
Posts: 1,042
Default RPM drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmattmul View Post
IO390 angle valve engine (450 hrs.), from the beginning I have been using short reach plugs and adapter in my engine. (Requires long reach) Did not realize this was incorrect and just used what was sent to me. (My mistake, 5 years ago I didn't know what I didn't know) After reading a recent thread checked mine next oil change and saw I needed LRP's. 2 friends with similar set-ups also had incorrect adapters and plugs installed. Today replaced with LR adapters and long plugs. When I removed the old adapters, I could see quite a lot of carbon build-up in the threads that were not being used. Used a small vacuum hose down one plug and used a thread chaser to clean them up. PITA, after 2 hours finally had all 8 clean. Most took 5 to 6 tapping and removing and cleaning the chase and reoil. Mag checks produced less RPM drop than before and running on one electronic unit could hardly tell I was only firing on one plug. Have not flown it yet and will check the data on Savoy soon. Results may vary. FYI
Reviewed logs on Savoy, RPM drop with SRP and SR adapter previous 10 flights was 50 - 60 RPM. With LRP and LR adapters today was 20. Worth the effort to go to these. Test flight today engine was very smooth.
__________________
RV-14A - TB390, Garmin G3X, EarthX, Beringer Wheels & Brakes, B&C alternators, Flying Aug 2020. Evoke Paint. RV-10 - TB540, Garmin G3X, EarthX, Beringer Wheels & Brakes, B&C alternators, Flying hopefully Spring 2024. Want to build and fly the 15 as my last Vans airframe.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-12-2023, 12:39 PM
glider_rider glider_rider is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjdecker View Post
Always a good idea to check the source -- see https://www.lycoming.com/sites/defau...%2520Plugs.pdf

All of the -390's need long reach plugs, double check the paint markings to be certain. However, not ALL angle valve engines use long reach plugs -- for example IO-360-Axxx, C, D series use REM38E -- short reach plugs.
Mine IO-390 EXP119 was delivered from Lycoming with Denso IKH27. Do I understand correctly that I should be using different spark plugs?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-12-2023, 01:18 PM
JHartline JHartline is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Carrollton, GA 5GA2
Posts: 310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glider_rider View Post
Mine IO-390 EXP119 was delivered from Lycoming with Denso IKH27. Do I understand correctly that I should be using different spark plugs?
Denso IKH27 (5347) plugs are long reach. Expensive, but they are LR.
__________________
James Hartline
Carrollton, GA 5GA2
RV-14 - Bronze Lindy 2022!!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:59 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.