What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ride in a central Indiana RV-8?

meloosifah

Well Known Member
I just picked up my empannage and should be getting the wings here in a couple weeks... My RV-8 wishful thinking is now a reality. Sometime between next summer and 2025 I will by driving my own!

In the mean time, would there happen to be any RV-8 drivers near Anderson, Muncie, Indianapolis, etc who would be willing to give me ride in theirs? I have never been up in an RV and would love the opportunity to see what I am building. Several kind owners allowed me to sit in theirs during Osh Kosh this year and have already cost me several thousand dollars in tail and wings. I hate to think how much a ride will end up costing me!

I would be happy to put some fuel in the tank, lunch in a belly, or both.

Thanks!

Blake

Semper Fi

Welcome to RV-8 land

Congratulations Blake! You have come to right place :D Don't worry about the next flight costing you any extra money - you are already on your way into the deep-end with the purchase of the empennage! :eek::) Good choice!

Free ride

Hi Blake. I am further south in Jeffersonville, IN (just North of Louisville, KY). I would be more than happy to give you a free ride so you can see what it's like! I can fly up to Columbus, IN or something to make that happen too. We often go up there for a $100 hamburger/omlete. If you would like to PM me or email me, we can work it out (cccbuntin at insightbb.com). Dave

Let me know when you guys are going to meet up and, time and weather permitting, I could fly down and join in.

Sounds good.

We'll try to post when it will happen Don & Ryan. I am not completely done with the engine case swap-out from the crack. I just need to add oil and secure some of the spark plug wires and minor things. I want to fly it solo several hours before I take anybody up. Dave

My first RV ride - unforgettable!

So... My first ride in an RV was in an award-winning RV8! I am enjoying reliving the most exciting moments in the air I have ever experienced. Never mind that the flight ended with me white as a ghost, on the cusp of losing my huge, greasy breakfast (hindsight mistake, perhaps). Never mind that my wife (flying formation in an RV7 (another award-winner, by the way) has now decided that our -8 project should fatten up into a -7 project. Never mind that the planned Dramamine never made it into my stomach. Never mind that I ended up napping for an hour to recover... My wife tells me when we land that she wants to get her pilots license! Talk about the best intro to flying an RV that a guy could ask for! Thanks Dave and Wayne for the most memorable flying I could imagine! Now I am certain that I made the right choice to build this plane - just have to convince my wife that the -8 will be ok...

...or maybe we will have to build His-and-Hers. I think she would look great in a nice -6!

The biggest problem, though, was seeing the exquisite workmanship on these planes, wondering if I could possibly live up to that standard. Fellas, you have definitely set the bar high - both quality of build and incredible generosity to let a terrified back seated take the controls of one of the finest planes I have ever seen.

My/Our pleasure

Trent and Amanda, it was great meeting you and it was our pleasure taking you guys up and introducing you to formation flying and the RV experience. Just be strong and stay focused on the 8 -- that's the plane you really want no matter what Wayne and Amanda say :D.
Dave

PS Sorry no heads up Don and Ryan. We decided to do it Friday with a not so good forecast for Sat morning. We ended up delaying almost two hours before we left to Columbus. Fortunately by the time we finished eating, the wx was starting to clear.

Last edited:
No worries. Sounds like you guys gave a couple of great rides. And very good advice about sticking with the -8. ;) :D

Not to reopen previous "which rv is best" threads ... but, I built an rv-8 and love it, but if I had to do it again, I would go with a side by side model. My wife likes to fly with me, and fly the plane as well, which is just not the same from the back of the 8. If you plan to have wife, kids, or friends flying with you regularly, I would seriously look at the side by side.

Aaron

Not to reopen previous "which rv is best" threads ... but, I built an rv-8 and love it, but if I had to do it again, I would go with a side by side model. My wife likes to fly with me, and fly the plane as well, which is just not the same from the back of the 8. If you plan to have wife, kids, or friends flying with you regularly, I would seriously look at the side by side.

Aaron

But.......they're so........fat! (1st post BTW)

Grats on what sounds like a killer 1st ride!

Mike

Last edited:
Back