What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuel line - severe abrasion

A5555

Well Known Member
a second owner aircraft. previous A&P inspection. flying for a couple of years. owner inspection found severe fuel injected fuel line wear abrasion. in true honesty, perhaps the best inspector is the guy behind the stick. not much time left for this hose.

DSCN2632_zpspa2tpxrc.jpg

DSCN2636_zps3i1moxqh.jpg

Last edited:
a second owner aircraft. previous A&P inspection. flying for a couple of years. owner inspection found severe fuel injected fuel line wear abrasion. in true honesty, perhaps the best inspector is the guy behind the stick. not much time left for this hose.

DSCN2632_zpspa2tpxrc.jpg

DSCN2636_zps3i1moxqh.jpg

Wow, good catch. What was chowing on it? Should one perhaps replace the fitting this was attached to also?

OMG...that looks like it was ground out by by a Dremel/die grinder for clearance. What did the other part look like? That just goes to show you can never have too many eyes checking out your plane!

And the plated brass crimp collar and JIC nut. Definately not a good thing, and was overlooked apparently several times.

Tom

Steve,
You said fuel ingection line...
I am guessing it was close the spider....and maybe rubbing on the engine split line? Only area where I can think a line would be close enough to rub.
Give us a hint so we can check our planes.

correction, fuel pressure line to the transducer on a fuel injected engine. pilot side down low.

That looks pretty close to a very bad flight. A good reminder to inspect all the fuel hoses very carefully at least yearly.

Oof... good catch- scary stuff.

This brings back memories. My former 1961 172 had someone route the R/H rudder cables under the fuel line upstream of the fuel selector (where the R/H wing feeds the selector)- sawed through the AL tubing so much that it was paper thin. So thin that if you looked down the ID of the tube, it was no longer round and had a very pronounced protrusion inward.

We cut it out, re-flared it and fixed the cable routing but like the posted the fuel would have been in the bulkhead right behind the exhaust with no way to shut it off.

I found this on my own during an assisted annual, but it had several previously at the same shop unassisted. Like RV-7 to go said, the more eyes the better.

Last edited:
Recently found cylinder aluminum oil-return line

chewed through by lower baffle fastening tie-rod. Oil leaking. Obviously making a mess. Checked other side and had to make adjustments.

Engine had 350hrs since new.

Ron

Last edited:
OMG...that looks like it was ground out by by a Dremel/die grinder for clearance.

It does indeed. Or maybe rubbing against another steel braided line, or maybe a Bowden cable.

It works the other way too. Poke around in enough airplanes and you'll find one where the steel braided line ate into a motor mount tube.

chewed through by lower baffle fastening tie-rod. Oil leaking. Obviously making a mess. Checked other side and had to make adjustments. Engine had 350hrs since new.
Ron

Baffle tie rods are from the "We always done 'er that way" bin. The odd thing is that they tie together wraps on two cylinders vibrating independently. It's a small mod to tie the front and rear wraps to the center baffle plate rather than to each other, and it sidesteps drain tube issues.

Back