What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N14ZM new panel

F1 Rocket

Well Known Member
AF1QipOkcAOFg2FRMuawAp66MWG5CcE9pgKh1Ow_9jTMIs4Tb68i1RLFinKzFsyUYC6reQ

N14ZM is finally flying again with her new all Garmin panel. This was a major project that (as always with me) had some major scope creep. The original panel was a mix of 1st generation Dynon, Tru Trak, and Garmin radios. The electrical system was all CB?s located on the panel. What originally was planned as a Dynon display update and ADS-B install quickly turned into a completely new all Garmin panel, which then turned into a re wire of 90% of the airplane. Every switch was replaced and the electrical system split between a new fuse box and a few panel mounted CB?s. Lots of work for sure but well worth it :)

Rocket Panel

Danny,

That is a stunning panel, nicely done! I am ready to take delivery any time.......

That is just

ridiculous ---ly cool!

And your wiring is WAY to neat. How the heck are you going to get frustrated and ticked off when you can't locate the right wire? :)

The panel layout itself is awesome.

Absolutely gorgeous!

I love the access you have behind the panel and the panel and workmanship are gorgeous! Congrats!!

Lovely! Any insights to share on the panel labeling/screen printing??
Would very much like to upgrade my panel graphics.

Peter

Lovely! Any insights to share on the panel labeling/screen printing??
Would very much like to upgrade my panel graphics.

Peter

I'd also like to know who did you labeling. I'm in the middle of a new layout, and find this to be quite an inspiration. Very nice.

Thanks for all the nice comments. As I said earlier this project was a lot of work. I did have some help. Nearly everything was purchased from Steinair who put up with my multiple change requests without ever making me feel like I was being the pain that I felt I was. It took a while to get everything to fit, with me on the phone with Stein taking measurements and Stein revising the layout. After all the locations were set, I had them cut the panel and install the radio stack mounting angles. Steinair also provided an interconnect wiring diagram. I really, really wanted them to do the harness for me too but price and lead time for that was beyond my budget and schedule. In the end I don’t think a pre wired harness would have worked out anyway. One of the biggest challenges was finding places to mount everything and this was an iterative process. A lot of effort went into making sure everything new and old remained serviceable after everything was installed.
The placards are reverse engraved and were done by Aircraft Engravers. They did the original ones almost 15 years ago. Wayne and his son Matthew are great to work with. The new placards match the old ones perfectly in style and color.

Towards the end of this project I met some new friends, Brian and Ingrid who are just getting started on their own Rocket. Brian works at Velocity Aircraft installing panels. Ingrid fly’s for Southwest. Both are very knowledgeable on the Garmin system so it was nice having them check things out and help with the initial setup. Turns out they live only a block and half away from me :)

Very, very nice. It's just amazing what we can use for avionics in our experimental airplanes. My father flew B-17H in WWII... he would absolutely flip out if he saw my RV-12 with four(4) 7" flat panel color displays.

Thanks for all the nice comments. As I said earlier this project was a lot of work. I did have some help. Nearly everything was purchased from Steinair who put up with my multiple change requests without ever making me feel like I was being the pain that I felt I was. It took a while to get everything to fit, with me on the phone with Stein taking measurements and Stein revising the layout. After all the locations were set, I had them cut the panel and install the radio stack mounting angles. Steinair also provided an interconnect wiring diagram. I really, really wanted them to do the harness for me too but price and lead time for that was beyond my budget and schedule. In the end I don?t think a pre wired harness would have worked out anyway. One of the biggest challenges was finding places to mount everything and this was an iterative process. A lot of effort went into making sure everything new and old remained serviceable after everything was installed.
The placards are reverse engraved and were done by Aircraft Engravers. They did the original ones almost 15 years ago. Wayne and his son Matthew are great to work with. The new placards match the old ones perfectly in style and color.

Towards the end of this project I met some new friends, Brian and Ingrid who are just getting started on their own Rocket. Brian works at Velocity Aircraft installing panels. Ingrid fly?s for Southwest. Both are very knowledgeable on the Garmin system so it was nice having them check things out and help with the initial setup. Turns out they live only a block and half away from me :)

Great new friends to have, Danny! :) Thanks for the source of our place-cards. I'll check them out. Oh yeah, my bride loved the color of your rudder peddles! Nice touch.

Brian

Danny, I keep coming back to look at your panel. I love it! What a great setup. I see you have FlyLeds. What did you put in the wingtips?
Thanks,
Mark

Thanks. I may have to look into them. I've had a couple of failures with my Aveo Engineering LED Landing/Taxi lights. They no longer make them.

Back