What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UK RV8 Reborn

10w

I'm New Here
Back in late 2017, we were fortunate enough to buy RV-8 G-JBTR from Bob Ellis. The aircraft came with a good pedigree, having been flown by Bob in the UK Royal Aero Club Air Racing events and winning the 2015 Air Racing Championship. We had a good year of flying her from our base in Scotland, where she picked up the nickname ‘Wee Vans’, including a European trip covering Belgium, Germany, Italy and France, as well as many excursions to strips throughout the UK, Ireland, and the Channel Islands.

Sadly a ground loop in 2018 resulted in a runway excursion which caused a fair bit of damage to the left gear, wing, and front fuselage. The good news was that the insurance company covered the repair costs in full. We placed our trust in the engineering team at Targett Aviation based at Nympsfield in England and they liaised with Vans Aircraft to make sure everything was as good as new. 100% professional and competent performance from Targett. During the down time we also carried out some betterment programmes with a Beringer brake and wheel system being fitted, the undamaged engine having various items replaced whilst being shock tested, a new Catto propellor, and a new right wing to go with the damaged left replacement.

Wee Vans passed her flight test with flying covers and was delivered to the paint shop of Mick Allen at Turweston in England. Mick also painted her when she was first built and the paint was still spotless after 5 years and 600 hours of use. She has now been reregistered with the UK marks G-WEEV (standing for WEE Vans) and repainted and good to go. All we need now is some good weather this coming week to ferry her home. She’s been missed :)

C5adD9Y.jpg

cYIivkS.jpg

zTaveeJ.jpg

GdFsjfj.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats!

Looks great! I hope you get many more years of flying pleasure out of your "new" RV-8!

forward rider seemed seated quite low prior to that unfortunate ground loop...

One heck of color marriage :cool:

Good to see her back in the air.

Could I ask who you were insured with. It seems they have treated you well.

Tom G-MRVL.

Cheers Dugaru

:D good point Mike Newall

DeeCee57 Thanks, the accident flight was a different day. I normally use a cushion, being a short *** :D

tomww We are with Haywards. Very helpful and made the process painless for us.

Back