What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N11LR is officially an airplane

lr172

Well Known Member
Brought the plane to the hanger a couple weeks ago and received my A/W cert yesterday. Very exciting. I hope to be doing the first flight this weekend or early next week. I will post a pic once I get the hanger door open later this week.

Would love to hear any pearls of wisdom on first flight. I have read numerous docs on the subject, but was hoping for some specifics related to the 10. I have a few hours in another 10, so comfortable with the transition from the 6.

Thanks,

Larry

Congrats! Only wisdom I have is to work out the bugs as they pop up. Don?t try to fly off your time the first week.

Brought the plane to the hanger a couple weeks ago and received my A/W cert yesterday. Very exciting. I hope to be doing the first flight this weekend or early next week. I will post a pic once I get the hanger door open later this week.

Would love to hear any pearls of wisdom on first flight. I have read numerous docs on the subject, but was hoping for some specifics related to the 10. I have a few hours in another 10, so comfortable with the transition from the 6.

Thanks,

Larry

Do a risk assessment on the possibilities for the first flight. Hopefully it's over an uncontrolled airport. If not, call the tower to brief them on what's going on, so they know that you may need to do a hasty return, if needed. If your engine is new and you are breaking it in, fly up and circle the airport at full power, while watching the temperatures and pressures. Have a chase plane, if possible for another set of eyes watching out for you, because you will be eyes in checking everything out in flight.

I even had a 4 wheeler as a ground assist/crash rescue vehicle, with an ax and fire extinguishers, if needed. Be methodical and logical on your decision making, and you should be fine. This is with the assumption you have done the fuel flow check to ensure you can feed the engine enough fuel to guarantee full power.

My chase plane on my first flight was a Cirrus SR-22, and he couldn't even keep up with me at full power. I was grinning from ear to ear.

You'll love the 10. They fly like a dream !! Good luck!!

Congrats!

Congrats Larry - great weather for engine break-in over the next few days!

Do a risk assessment on the possibilities for the first flight. Hopefully it's over an uncontrolled airport. If not, call the tower to brief them on what's going on, so they know that you may need to do a hasty return, if needed. If your engine is new and you are breaking it in, fly up and circle the airport at full power, while watching the temperatures and pressures. Have a chase plane, if possible for another set of eyes watching out for you, because you will be eyes in checking everything out in flight.

I even had a 4 wheeler as a ground assist/crash rescue vehicle, with an ax and fire extinguishers, if needed. Be methodical and logical on your decision making, and you should be fine. This is with the assumption you have done the fuel flow check to ensure you can feed the engine enough fuel to guarantee full power.

My chase plane on my first flight was a Cirrus SR-22, and he couldn't even keep up with me at full power. I was grinning from ear to ear.

You'll love the 10. They fly like a dream !! Good luck!!

Thanks for the input.

Congrats Larry - great weather for engine break-in over the next few days!

Had to deal with a wiring issue today. Looking like Monday or Tuesday for first flight, so should make that nice window we're having.

Larry

Back