What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chekov Checklist App

ssokol

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I've had several beta users of FlightView ask about integrated checklists, so I've been working on adding checklists. Just displaying a checklist is pretty cool, but I thought it might be more useful to make the lists interactive so...

I ended up building a voice-enabled interactive checklist system. You create lists using a simple editor which lets you set both the display text ("Master on.") and the audio prompt ("Set master switch on."). When you run the checklist you can respond to the audio prompt by voice, saying either "check" or a custom acknowledgement. (E.g, prompt: "Set flaps to 20 degrees." response: "twenty" or "set".)

All of that will be in the next beta of FlightView, but it occurred to me that people might want to use checklists without installing an EFIS, so I've put the checklist features into a new app I'm calling Chekov. You can install Chekov from the App Store here.

The app runs on any iOS device with iOS 13 and is free for up to ten lists, each with up to ten items. If you want to go beyond those limits you can unlock it with an in-app purchase ($4.99). The upgrade also lets you share lists between device or with other users.

If you get a chance, please give it a shot and let me know what you think.

When I get some time I'll put together some base checklists for RVs and put them up on my website. You'll need to edit them to fit your aircraft, but they should serve as a decent starting point.

(P.S. - I'm a paid VAF advertiser as well as a satisfied RV owner.)

Thanks, that looks very cool and I can't wait to give it a try. I will especially look forward to a voice prompt to turn off that master switch I like to leave on so very much!
David

Any plans for an Android version?

Unfortunately, not at this point. I'm a one-man band, and trying to support two platforms is more than I can take on.

If somebody else wants to develop a similar app, I'm happy to share the details of the file format / data structures so we can share lists between them.

Da!

But can it run through the checklist items in a heavy Russian accent?

Actually, there is a Russian text-to-speech voice. It doesn't sound much like Walter Koenig's phony accent, but it is kind of hilarious to hear it try to pronounce some words.

"Aveeyownix maester sweetch off."

Back