What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Special Issuance Medical Woes....

Awesome news Brian. Thanks for sharing your story, it serves to remind us all of the importance of knowing the process and holding them accountable to it.

You persevered.

Happy flying, running and living.

Be safe!

Congratulations!

Congratulations in a BIG way, Brian!

I was able to renew my Class III S.I. last Friday but because my old AME retired and the new one was not familiar with my records, the whole process took almost 7 weeks. After my first visit in April, he wanted some time to review one item on my cardiology report and then check with Oklahoma City. Needless to say, I fretted.

I must admit I thought of you last Friday after I was walking out of my AME's office with that renewed S.I. in my hand. I'm really glad you persisted and got it worked out.

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you wrote above. The only thing I would add is to make copies of everything, EVERYTHING, you send to the FAA. In my case I had over 400 sheets of records from Vanderbilt Hospital after my two heart surgeries in 2009, and yes, I made a copy of EVERYTHING. I didn't want to replace anything that might have gotten lost.

Your single post should prove to be a valuable resource for many pilots who will be going down the same path.

Thanks, and a BIG THANKS for documenting your thoughts for all to see. :D

Congratulations!! So the USPS brought it, as advertised?

Blue skies,
John

The gal at the Atlanta office told me it was confirmed shipped...

It is not in my hand yet but I have faith!

Many thanks to you John for your amazing advice and assistance!

Last edited:
Congratulations in a BIG way, Brian!

I was able to renew my Class III S.I. last Friday but because my old AME retired and the new one was not familiar with my records, the whole process took almost 7 weeks. After my first visit in April, he wanted some time to review one item on my cardiology report and then check with Oklahoma City. Needless to say, I fretted.

I must admit I thought of you last Friday after I was walking out of my AME's office with that renewed S.I. in my hand. I'm really glad you persisted and got it worked out.

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you wrote above. The only thing I would add is to make copies of everything, EVERYTHING, you send to the FAA. In my case I had over 400 sheets of records from Vanderbilt Hospital after my two heart surgeries in 2009, and yes, I made a copy of EVERYTHING. I didn't want to replace anything that might have gotten lost.

Your single post should prove to be a valuable resource for many pilots who will be going down the same path.

Thanks, and a BIG THANKS for documenting your thoughts for all to see. :D

Don,

Great point about making copies. I have done that since the beginning! I have a folder for each year and right now the stack is almost 2 feet tall! I will add that to the post above!

SI Records

I scan mine in high resolution and keep them electronically. With an additional back up.

Inspiration...from heart issues to marathons...want to meet you in Oshkosh

Brian,

Your story with all the details you provided helps those with health issues or without health issues to regularly exercise (to the extent possible) to take care of our bodies (it is expected of us all). I would like to meet you when you are in Oshkosh this year. For the past so many years, I've been camping in Scholler near RV-10 group. Three one nine six five one five seven zero nine if you can contact me to meet up.

Medical issues...to losing 135 lb...to running marathons! Perseverance!! Lot to learn from you. Btw, I do read your posts on Garmin products!

vj

Thank you for sharing your journey and each step required.....you just helped a lot of us aviators that are facing the same situation. Do you know about Type 2 diabetes and the FAA's medical process? Is it the same? Thank you again.

Brian...

Looking forward to seeing you again in HBC ;), I went on the Paleo diet after I found I am Type II diabetic. my a1c went from a 12.8 to 7.2 in 3 months so I'm manageing it pretty well. Oh, and I've also lost 25 of the 50 pounds in the last 4 months:D

Looking forward to seeing you again in HBC ;), I went on the Paleo diet after I found I am Type II diabetic. my a1c went from a 12.8 to 7.2 in 3 months so I'm manageing it pretty well. Oh, and I've also lost 25 of the 50 pounds in the last 4 months:D

Awesome Jerry! Way to go!

The gal at the Atlanta office told me it was confirmed shipped...

It is not in my hand yet but I have faith!

Many thanks to you John for your amazing advice and assistance!

To close the loop on this, I have my fresh medical certificate in my hand. Even better is that they graciously extended it more than a year as so I did not have to immediately start the process all over again!

:D

To close the loop on this, I have my fresh medical certificate in my hand. Even better is that they graciously extended it more than a year as so I did not have to immediately start the process all over again!

:D

Perfect! Blue skies.
John

Back