What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Input - - Replacing the AI with a D10A

FLYPTV

Greetings.

Put about 8 hours on the -6 in the last three days. The airplane is approaching 600 hours on the airframe. It seems that some life limited items are starting to die. . . ie air driven instruments. Next to go will probably be the Vacuum pump.

Last flight the Attitude Indicator lost it and at $425 to overhaul. Too many unusual attitudes maybe:eek:. It seems to be prudent to explore other options at this point.

So, my partner and I are considering replacing the AI with a Dynon D10A. Since I am not a builder yet, and I am planning to assist him in the install. Can anyone offer any advice? Pitfalls? What options. . . etc. . .

I can post a picture of the panel later. It is a standard 6-pack configuration. With plenty of room on the panel. its an RV6 tip up too.

Thanks for your input. . .

hooking it up to GPS

One other thing. . .

Does anyone have any experience with the D10A hooked up to a Garmin 250XL?

The Dynon site discuses support for the 150XL. I think that is the same GPS sans COM?

Thanks again. . .

Go for it!

There is ZERO to worry about. Just do it! I did, when my gyros started getting really stupid. The D10A fit right into the AI hole no problemo. Run power to it, yank out the entire vac system and offload it on Ebay. You may need to order a cover plate for your vacuum pump pad on the back of the engine.

It's a total win situation. :)

I have no experience with radio interface so can't help ya there.

If you want magnetic heading, plan the remote EDC installation.

The D10A is an excellent product with top-notch support.

Which brings up the question: How accurate is the EDC's magnetic heading?

When I calibrate the EDC and swing the compass at my annual, I get a maximum error of +/- 1 degree. Since aligning the aircraft is subject to error as well, this is reasonable.

V

Go For It!

I replaced my electric AI with a D10 when they first came out. Never regretted it. Just recently upgraded to D10A. Still no regrets. Haven't tied it in to my GNC250XL, but it works great with the GPSMAP296.
You WILL the EDC-D10.

I would certainly do it. You will LOVE the Dynon. It's awesome.

Just thinking of potential pitfalls here. Since you have a -6, I believe it has less room between the panel and subpanel than my -7. The D-10A is pretty long and on my -7 the d-sub connector is about 1/2 inch from the subpanel. I think you'll need to punch a hole in the subpanel for it to work. Borrow a standard instrument hole punch to make the hole. Hopefully you don't have anything in the way.

Last edited:
EDC

With the EDC, the heading is very accurate. Mine is mounted in the left wing tip and I just noticed a small problem. It does swing the compass when I turn on that landing light. Something like 6* off when the LL is on. Since I don't fly with it on, no big deal. It might present a problem if you wig-wag your landing lights.

Bob Kelly

I would certainly do it. You will LOVE the Dynon. It's awesome.

Just thinking of potential pitfalls here. Since you have a -6, I believe it has less room between the panel and subpanel than my -7. The D-10A is pretty long and on my -7 the d-sub connector is about 1/2 inch from the subpanel. I think you'll need to punch a hole in the subpanel for it to work. Borrow a standard instrument hole punch to make the hole. Hopefully you don't have anything in the way.

The SigmaTek was already through the sub-panel, so no big deal there. just thinking of the need and where to mount the remote compass, without too much labor.

Garmin 250 XL to Dynon 10A

Trying to get the Garmin 250XL to communite to the Dynon 10A, is there something I need to do on the Garmin side to open the port to communicate with the Dynon?? I think I have the Dynon set up but not getting the signal from the Garmin??
tks in advance
Richard

Back