What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Most Beautiful Hangar - Hands Down

ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
I have seen some pretty cool hangers but this is not a hanger, it is a church. My wife and I took the bikes up to Jackson Hole for the night with some friends and on the way back stopped at Alpine Airport. This is one of coolest community airports around. We met up with the builder for the area and he gave us a tour. At the end of the tour he took us by the gentlemen?s house that bought the airport and made it what it is today. He has an amazing home but the hanger is incredible. He said the beams were laminated right there by Indians (don't know if this is true or just makes the story better). It was originally built by the founder of Simpson Racing seatbelts. The current owner is also a Husky distributor. This is a public airport. If your in the area make sure you stop by and check it out.

178851487-L.jpg

178852633-L.jpg

178852611-L-2.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that he wasn't there that day because he was on his way to North Dakota to pick up his new P-51 Mustang. That hanger needs a P-51.

iwannarv said:
:rolleyes: Might start an interesting topic "Dream Hangers" . This one is beatiful!!

I like the idea. Anybody have anything like this one or better? It gives us all something to think about as we work during the day dreaming of owning something like this someday.

I actually think that just owning a hanger is a dream hanger. Then if you have a plane in the hanger instead of junk, you are way ahead of the curve. Sometimes I can't believe the stuff people store in a hanger.

A couple from a local airport (Santa Paula). The cabnets in the background of the first pic, hidden by the tailcone is actualy a full kitchen...granite countertops, sink, dishwasher, the whole 9 yards. Second two pics are stunt Pilot Mike Deweys hanger.

hanger1.jpg

hanger2.jpg
hanger3.jpg

Flying Bulls

The other week there was a show on Discovery or TLC about aircraft boneyards. Ironically the show was called Boneyard. Near the end the featured the Flying Bulls restoration of their DC-6. And they showcased their more than beautiful hangars. I'd love to just hang out there for a year or two and play with their 'toys'.

about_m.jpg
Hangar8_about.jpg
hist_m.jpg

Of crourse I'd be remiss if I didn't include my employer's hangars:
ph-delta.jpg

Last edited:
Florida hanger home

Here's another cool one in Amelia Island, FL. It's been For Sale for a year or two and they've lowered the price a lot from the orginal asking price. Taking the "Tour" is fun.
http://www.floridahangarhome.com

Last edited:
I don't need the hair cut, but...

dan said:
I mean, who WOULDN'T want a barber shop in their hangar?! :rolleyes:
The soda foutain/dinner I could spend some time in. :)

Kent

Last edited:
Nice place, but a Maule with a training wheel???????

I wonder if it comes furnished?

More Pictures

I went up to the car/airshow at Alpine this weekend. Here are a few more shots of this awesome airport and hanger. These pictures really make you drool. Make sure you cover your keyboard with a towel.

188371294-L.jpg

188371333-L.jpg

188372048-L.jpg

188371978-L.jpg

188370911-L.jpg

ScottSchmidt said:
I went up to the car/airshow at Alpine this weekend. Here are a few more shots of this awesome airport and hanger. These pictures really make you drool. Make sure you cover your keyboard with a towel.
Sweet Mother of God!!!! :eek:

An F2G!! A P-51D!!

Are these owned by the same guy? If so, I don't know this guy, but I hate him instantly! Well, not really.

Let me guess, he's also married to Elle McPherson....

fl-mike said:
Sweet Mother of God!!!! :eek:

An F2G!! A P-51D!!

Are these owned by the same guy? If so, I don't know this guy, but I hate him instantly! Well, not really.

Let me guess, he's also married to Elle McPherson....

He just owns the P-51 and a few others.

The Super Corsair is owned by Robert Odegaard in North Dakota. In fact he and his son fly in the Oshkosh (Reno Air Races) simulation. Robert also owns a couple of other P-51's. His son was flying Stang when it nosed up at Oshkosh on Friday.

It was either Elle or the P-51. He made the right choice!

ScottSchmidt said:
It was either Elle or the P-51. He made the right choice!
I have no experience with either, but I imagine their operating costs are similar -- both extremely high.

RV7Factory said:
I have no experience with either, but I imagine their operating costs are similar -- both extremely high.

Agree on similarity of operating costs, but total cost should be ammortised over hours of enjoyment. I expect that for me, flight duration in the 51 would be considerably longer, resulting in a much lower cost per unit time.

Regards,

Dale Lambert
RV-6 finishing kit

If it should come down to it, resale value on the 'stang would be much higher than the supermodel, who would still have high maintenance demands with ever diminishing return on investment. Warbirds only get better with time!

After seeing these pics, my airpark house/hangar looks like a servant's quarters! I just can't get over those laminated beams. They remind me of the innards of the Spruce Goose.

Pine Mountain Hangers

OK, I may have found a couple more hangers that compete in some category for the nicest.
I flew to Pine Mountain (E45) in August to fly with Wayne Handley for three days and met some very nice people. One couple owns two hangers that are both museums with all types of aviation artifacts and beautiful flying airplanes.
They may not be the most beautiful hangers but have some of the nicest contents and absolutely the biggest imagination of hanger display.
When I was there they were getting ready to host a car show.

Just thought you guys would like to see some other hangers for ideas.

366061358_CGymH-L.jpg

366060881_eju7b-L.jpg

366060409_LGcoD-L.jpg

366060723_qAHnb-L.jpg

366060560_osiPD-L.jpg

366061831_V6ZzL-L.jpg

366063374_RzV4h-L.jpg

Last edited:
PINE MOUNTAIN

Kent and Sandy Blankenburg(sp??)The Lockheed twin, I think a 12A, and the Cessna 195 have been to Oshkosh. Until recently they also had a polished Spartan Executive. It had a gear collapse(mechanical failure) on the way to Oshkosh and has been sold. The amphib is a modified Seabee and the airplane behind the twin is a Luscombe Sedan. I think the one hanging up is a Luscombe Phantom.

Back