What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I am confused!

F1Boss

Well Known Member
Could be simply I am stubborn. Let's talk about alternator regulator setting as is available in the B&C regulator vs those pesky Odyssey PC680 batteries. I would prefer that my battery does it's job, and I hear different opinions from everyone I ask.

https://www.odysseybattery.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/ody_chargers_sheet-1.pdf

That page says that their chargers will push electrons into the AGM batteries until they have 14.7V in 'em, then it will use some brain power to keep it more or less at that value: 14.7V.

I think my alternator would do the same thing if I set the regulator to 14.7V.

Others have opined that the normal setting of 13.8V - 14.3V is fine. If I reset to that value, how the heck does my battery get a full charge?

Why are we as a group having some less-than-acceptable in-service times with their product? Could it be the regulator setting on most of our alternators? Should we all tweak up to 14.7V to get better service lives for our equipment?
Seems that 14.7V won't overcharge the battery...

Let 'er rip fellas - I am confused. Do I call the Odyssey folks to get a clear answer? Thanks for your help.

There is a difference between charge voltage and float voltage. You can/should charge at the charge voltage, but then drop down to float voltage when charge is complete. That logic requires microprocessors and current sensors, that most chargers have (most have four phases of charging, some only three) but VR's don't; some specialty marine VRs actually have this. THerefore you sacrifice that last 5-10% of battery capacity and only use a float voltage to avoid toasting your battery by constantly running at the charge voltage. Go to the odyssey site and they will give you a recommended float voltage, usually 13.8-14.2 for SLA batteries. Many cars today go a bit above this to 14.4, sacrificing a bit of longevity in favor of a better top off capacity. When working with only a float voltage, it is a compromise.

There is not a lead acid battery mfr on the planet that will recommend continuous use at charge voltage. I am fairly certain taht you will knock a good percentage of service life off you battery by running at 14.7, however, I cannot tell you what that percentage is.

Larry

Last edited:
Great marketing

That’s a lot of “stuff” for something as simple as a battery charger. Even batteries that are $10,000 don’t have chargers that do all that. They only do 1. Constant Current or 2. Constant Voltage. I guess a Superseeder does Capacity Checks but they’re a few thousand.

This and another discussion on voltage - -

I looked at the Odyssey battery site, FAQ:

"A. If the battery is used in a starting application, the alternator should provide between 14.2 and 14.5 volts at the battery terminals. In cycling applications, the absorb voltage should be between 14.4 and 14.8 volts, while the float setting (if applicable) should be between 13.5 and 13.8 volts."

My PP, EI60 consistently yields 14.3 volts. 24/7 float would be the value above.

I am assuming the regulator is set for <14.2, but the additional resistance of the wire providing the power and sensing voltage causes the output to the battery to become 14.3 VDC.

That’s a lot of “stuff” for something as simple as a battery charger. Even batteries that are $10,000 don’t have chargers that do all that. They only do 1. Constant Current or 2. Constant Voltage. I guess a Superseeder does Capacity Checks but they’re a few thousand.

Most any modern $75 charger will provide a constant current Bulk phase up to a point where the voltage reaches a preset level. It will then go to constant voltage absorption phase that will likely end based upon reaching a preset current level. Then it will move to a constant voltage float phase. Many will also provide an equalization phase after this, but many do not adequately determine if equalization is required (it should not be used unless the plates are sulphated) and may offer a manual choice to engage it. For $150, you can get 5-7 charging phase and pulsing during equalization to better restore sulphated plates.

It is rare to fine an old style, transformer based charger that works off a simple constant voltage method.

Larry

Last edited:
Back