What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Pilot vs Foreflight

f14av8r

Well Known Member
Which do you use and why. I've tried them both over the last year and, at least for me, Foreflight is the clear winner. Frankly, I can't imagine why anybody would use any other product at this point. If I were Garmin, I would get out of this business as they've clearly given it over to Foreflight (Boeing).

That's my opinion, what's yours?

I use ForeFlight. I studied both, before committing, and found use, AND customer service to be better at ForeFlight. I have the pro subscription.
With the one month free trial and the sign up, that got me 13 months at the pro level.

Nothing against Garmin since I mountain bike with an Edge 1030 and trail run with an HR3. I just liked the simplicity and ease of use with ForeFlight.

300 hr private pilot, soon to embark on instrument training.

I use GarminPilot. I started with it back in 2012 or so because at the time I was using an Android tablet and they were the best Android app hands down.

I've since switched to an iPad but have stuck with Garmin because my avionics are all Garmin and the app and avionics all use the same or similar button-ology and logic. This keeps things for my pea brain as simple as possible.

When Foreflight was still priced competitively, I used it and liked it very much. But at $200 compared to $79, Garmin is a clear choice for me specially that my needs for a IPAD has gone to only planning the trip. I have two G3X which makes the need for a IPAD to a bare minimum.

G3 and GTN's

You guys must not fly with Garmin Equipment in the panel. I used to use Foreflight when it was first introduced and loved it. When I completed my RV9 with a Garmin panel, I switched to Garmin Pilot because of the easy compatibility with the look and feel of using the home screen, the passing back and forth flight plan info and changes either en route or before takeoff, etc.

I think if you drill down into either product they both do all the same functionality. I expect Garmin to build in a higher level of future functionality comparability with Garmin Pilot than with Foreflight. I would challenge you to learn and use both products (not just and overview look) before selling short one of the products. There is a lot in them and it takes time and experience using either one to fully appreciate the product.

I was also nervous regarding the Boeing takeover and where that will focus the product direction and support for the small guy's GA panel vs. airlines needs.

I also like the Garmin control of database updates and pricing, never did like Jeppesen. Garmin has a major commitment/investment in the GA world as is shown by their fantastic support example of the Garmin G3X Team
[email protected].

versus

I have used both extensively...and am still undecided. I will reserve my judgement until I have used both in my -10 with the G3X panel...

I use Garmin Pilot mostly because it works so well with my airplane's panel.

GP has come a long way in the last couple years to catch up to Foreflight.

Here is a fairly good "progressive" comparison of both of them:

Three years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trgs160kZW4

Two years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YgpOoJ43d0&t=13s

11 Months ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa1MvYF6o3o&t=5s

If you watch these in series, you will see the progression of features and how GP has tried to catch up with FF.

I’m a BIG fan of ForeFlight Pro and give the iPad 11” Pro prominent real estate on my panel, a Ram-mount that takes up most of the Pax side and can be aimed directly at my line of sight, which I’m retaining for that purpose in the all-new panel I’m building now.

That said, my new panel is ALL Garmin, including a 10” G3X Touch, GTN, GTX, and a 507 autopilot with AFCS capability. I’m finding this thread very interesting and helpful, as I’ve been wondering if switching to Garmin Pilot now could make sense before I start climbing the steep Dynon-to-Garmin learning curve. Some of the comments here are making me think the answer may be yes. It would be yes for sure if I could squirt all database and software updates directly into all of the panel mounted devices from the iPad instead of using SD cards, but from what I understand that is not in the cards. Anybody have thoughts on that issue?-Otis

As you can see here, I’ve even allocated space for the iPhone! Note the 6” charging cord connected to the iPad- the other end plugs into a dual-outlet aircraft grade panel mount charger directly behind it, leaving the second socket for passengers. IPad 10.5” shown here as I’m still waiting for the promised 11” Ram mount.-Otis
2v2E7w7YWxBELK5.jpg

Last edited:
The eternal EFB debate

I read with some interest about how y'all continue to debate the pros and cons of Garmin Pilot vs Foreflight when you can get an equally capable EFB for free. I used to use Foreflight but switched some years ago to FltPlan Go and flightplan.com for several reasons.

1. It is FREE!
2. It is available on 3 platforms. Apple, Android and a PC
3. It provides all Canadian geo-referenced charts and plates for FREE
4. Interfaces with Avidyne and Garmin Navigators
5. international flight plan filing
6. So many other features too numerous to mention here
7. Very easy to use.
8. And finally, did I mention that it is FREE?

Recently this great product was acquired by Garmin so it remains to be seen how long it will remain FREE. Garmin's track record when it comes to product integrity for acquired companies is not good so we will see.

I guess my point here is, why would I spend $1000 for an iPhone when I can get a similar product that works just as well from Motorola for less than 200 bucks?

I used ForeFlight for years in both a professional and personal setting but got tired of the nickeling and diming for new features all going in their ?premium? packages. Two years ago I downloaded Garmin on a whim and played with it for a couple weeks. By the time my FF subscription was up for renewal, it was a no brainer, and I?ve been solely using Garmin since then. I enjoy the user friendliness, the similarity to panel-based Garmin avionics, and the fact that it?ll communicate with panel-based systems (and do updates) through FlightStream.

I started with FF many years ago. Finished the RV-9 and since it was all Garmin I tried GP. As Brian said, it wasn't much of a product back then (2013). Lacked features and had glitches.
I was used to FF and just didn't wan to re-setup and learn the new GP.
This topic has me considering GP again as my FF subscription is about due.

It's called brand loyalty...

And it's a heavy factor with these apps.

As for a data point requested by the OP, I started with Foreflight back when it came out. It's been a while, but I believe I went away from it when Garmin Pilot came out and was offered on Android. I switched, sold my Apple device, and haven't looked back. G Pilot does everything I want - communicates wirelessly with my Garmin devices, logs flights automatically (on device and on cloud), geosyncs position on plates, synthetic VFR and IFR charts, synthetic vision - all on a device that is actually visible in a bubble canopy plane and that doesn't shut off due to overheating (Android devices).

Last edited:
I used to use Foreflight a lot. Still have the cheapest subscription.

But with 3 G3X touch screens in the -10, I never even get the iPad out anymore. VFR, I never need it.

I still use FF when I fly the -170.

For weather planning purposes, I use weathermeister.com and weatherspork
Both are great.

Garmin

I use Garmin Pilot and love it. I use it on iPad and Droid phone. Foreflight doesn't support the Droid. I buy the $150/yr VFR and IFR bundle. I really like the split screen, and all the different things I can show on Garmin's split screen. I suppose Foreflight is good too but I'm not fond of re-learning how to use it, but I could. I do have a Dynon panel and I hear Foreflight can transfer plans to it. Garmin has also been responsive with user support.

It would be interesting to hear of any functional differences.

I want to prefer Garmin pilot. My whole panel is Garmin. But Garmin's flight planning, filing and overlays are clunky compared to foreflight. It's unfortunate, I would love to switch.....but no.

I do like that Garmin's iPhone app is a mirror image of the iPad. Foreflight's dumbing down of the iPhone version is maddening.

I used ForeFlight for years in both a professional and personal setting but got tired of the nickeling and diming for new features all going in their ?premium? packages. Two years ago I downloaded Garmin on a whim and played with it for a couple weeks. By the time my FF subscription was up for renewal, it was a no brainer, and I?ve been solely using Garmin since then. I enjoy the user friendliness, the similarity to panel-based Garmin avionics, and the fact that it?ll communicate with panel-based systems (and do updates) through FlightStream.

You?ve just about convinced me! Does Flightstream require the pricey SD card modified with a WiFi transceiver for the GTN, or arethere other ways to incorporate it with G3X?- Otis

I have both apps. FF is my favorite largely because the weather part of the app is so much more fully featured. Adding Scott Denstaedt to their team a couple of years ago was a smart move. Also, the flight planning part works more intuitively

I have GP because I have a GTN-650 with the Flightstream 510 and it makes updating that unit dirt simple. No more carrying SD cards to and from the airport. Also, I have a GDL-50 which has an internal AHRS, so I can use GP as a poor mans attitude backup. I also like the dedicated traffic display. I used it at the 2 mile range heavily last year getting into OSH (yes, I know, keep your eyes out of the cockpit, but the traffic display is a great help in showing you where to look).

They're are both good, but if I had to have only one, it would have to be FF I think

My preference is for Foreflight because the user interface is more readable with less wasted space and more readable graphics. Then again, I almost never use it in flight as I have two touchscreens with just about all the information I need. Also, with a bubble canopy, even with a sunscreen, device readability can be an issue. Mostly, I use Foreflight for flight planning -- weather and fuel prices being the big winners.

One minor advantage of Pilot is that on an ADS-B display, you can tell what kind of ADS-B signal you're seeing -- air to air on which band, what kind of TIS-B, etc. That would have been nice to have when the local TIS-B wasn't working right and the Feds didn't know about it.

Don't know if they've changed it, but on the early versions of Pilot, as you zoomed out, they kept fuel prices for the big city airports, not the lowest fuel prices. Not what I wanted for my flying...

There's a valuable feature that neither one has for selecting stops on long cross country flights -- fuel prices and also available food nearby.

Bottom line is that pilots are adaptable and will eventually get almost anything to work for them.

You’ve just about convinced me! Does Flightstream require the pricey SD card modified with a WiFi transceiver for the GTN, or arethere other ways to incorporate it with G3X?- Otis

The G3X Touch communicates with the Foreflight seamlessly, the GTN is connected to the Touch via a wired CONNEXT line which transfers flight plans back and forth from the GTN. Make a change in FF and the GTN notifies you there is a new flight plan available, make a change in the GTN and FF see it and asks if you want to load the new flight plan. Doesn't get any easier.

I create a flt plan at home on FF, file IFR from FF, expected route is sent back to FF from ATC, go to the airplane and upload the expected route.

I tried Garmin Pilot but guess I was so used to FF by this time I just don't have enough brain cells left to learn a new way. For VFR I think GP is good but still think FF has a edge for IFR stuff which is mainly what I use FF for. For VFR I don't generally use an Ipad at all.

Sounds like the new GTN software that will also allow flt plan changes in the Touch and then transfer those to the GTN!

Last edited:
I have been using FF for a few years. I started using FF while flying charter in Central America. Back then it had limited use in Central America but what was available made flying a little easier. I recently purchased Garmin Pilot because I ordered a lot of new Garmin products from Stein for my panel upgrade. I wanted to compare the two thinking it made more sense to have G Pilot since I will soon have many new Garmin products in my panel. I have used the two side by side many times in the last two months but have come to the conclusion that FF is much easier to use and I like the screen shots also better on the FF. I have FF Pro and no matter how much I try to get comfortable with G Pilot FF wins out every time.

I started out with Garmin Pilot but switched to ForeFlight after about a year. Stuck with FF and I really like it. I don't even use all the power available in FF.

I have an old Trutrak EFIS so the push to go all Garmin doesn't exist with me. Someday I'll upgrade and when I do I don't know what I'll select. Maybe if I went Garmin I'd switch to GP. But not guaranteed.

My preference is for Foreflight because the user interface is more readable with less wasted space and more readable graphics. Then again, I almost never use it in flight as I have two touchscreens with just about all the information I need. Also, with a bubble canopy, even with a sunscreen, device readability can be an issue. Mostly, I use Foreflight for flight planning -- weather and fuel prices being the big winners.

One minor advantage of Pilot is that on an ADS-B display, you can tell what kind of ADS-B signal you're seeing -- air to air on which band, what kind of TIS-B, etc. That would have been nice to have when the local TIS-B wasn't working right and the Feds didn't know about it.

Don't know if they've changed it, but on the early versions of Pilot, as you zoomed out, they kept fuel prices for the big city airports, not the lowest fuel prices. Not what I wanted for my flying...

There's a valuable feature that neither one has for selecting stops on long cross country flights -- fuel prices and also available food nearby.

Bottom line is that pilots are adaptable and will eventually get almost anything to work for them.

Garmin Pilot doesn't have restaurants (unless you spend time digging through the AOPA directory that is impeded in the App), but it does have on the screen fuel prices if you select that as the primary display feature.

The fuel $'s that this can save will easily pay for a one year subscription of the App if used on a long trip.

I use both Foreflight and Garmin Pilot on my iPad. I use a Garmin Aera 660 for navigation/autopilot and do my planning in Garmin Pilot and upload it to the Aera 660 via Connext. I also have a Garmin GDL39 for ADS-B in, so Garmin Pilot is my go-to for actual flight operations. But I find some of the features on Foreflight are more to my liking. So I use both.

Back