What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WAAAAAHHHOOOO!!

Harland E. [n.m. u.s.a.]

Well Known Member
Onto the wings next.I actually feel that this dream I've had for 10 years is becoming reallity. Signing the waiver of release of liability with the Notary witnessing and faxing off the order forms this morning was a real milestone for this wannabe aviator.It's going to feel like Christmas in May when that crate shows up to my humble airplane factory....in fact i feel about six years old on X-MAS EVE right now ! Waiting is not going to be easy.LOL.

Welcome to the New Mexico RV community! You're starting a journey of learning, self-discovery, humility and passion the likes of which non-airplane building aviators will never know.

It's also just plain...uh PLANE fun. ;)

I'm in Albuquerque building an RV9A.

I'm working on the wings right now.

I had a slack day so I worked on the RV about 9 hours today!

My hands hurt (darn clecos!)

But, I'm have a blast!

I'm 55 going on 8....

Dave

I didn't want to see a link to carpal tunnel - I was hoping it was link to a pneumatic cleco tool! :D

Genetic predisposition? Interesting! I manually cleco'd the entire airplane and never had a pneumatic squeezer. We had a health fair at work during this time. They had a hand strength device and a scattergram chart showing averages and actual readings taken that day. I was equivalent to a healthy 25 year old in gripping power and I was probably 37 at the time. Was at the top of the chart as I recall. Building airplanes is good for you! :)

If you want Popeye arms, go manual! Carpal schmarpal. And for my next trick: deburring parts while running on the treadmill. Don't try this at home, kids.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

I thought I'd weigh in here since this is what I do for a living and also to disspell some misconceptions. The halmark symptom of carpal tunnel syndrome is numbness in the thumb, index, middle and part of the ring finger. It can be accompanied by pain but if pain is your only symptom, it's probably not carpal tunnel syndrome. Dan Checkoway is right in that anatomy has more to do with it than occupation. If you have questions, email me offline and I will give you my opinion with the usual disclaimer that I won't be able to give you a complete accurate diagnosis without seeing you but I will be at Sun-n-Fun.

[email protected]

A mountain of boxes

Harland E. [n.m. u.s.a.] said:
Onto the wings next.I actually feel that this dream I've had for 10 years is becoming reallity. Signing the waiver of release of liability with the Notary witnessing and faxing off the order forms this morning was a real milestone for this wannabe aviator.It's going to feel like Christmas in May when that crate shows up to my humble airplane factory....in fact i feel about six years old on X-MAS EVE right now ! Waiting is not going to be easy.LOL.
Now just watch the boxes start to pile up behind the garage!

Back