What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

manifold pressure sensor issue

shefferm

I'm New Here
I have the vans manifold pressure gage + sensor and the related install kit and have already replaced 2 sensors which stopped performing during flight. i noticed that there is some fluid (water?) in the plastic tube that connects the pass through fitting in the firewall to the sensor. This small amount of liquid (water) might slide into the sensor and damage it. Any ideas how to prevent it?

Make sure your routing of the line from the cylinder to the firewall pass through is higher than the cylinder. This helps with the drain issues.
Some early model Pipers actaully had a drain button on the under the panel on the manifold line that you pushed in to allow the fluids to get sucked back into the engine. You activated it when you started the engine for a few seconds.

Usually routing the line higher as I mentioned helps, and do clean it out every year during the condition inspection.

Vic

Just sent my third sensor to Electronics International inc. for repair (they have great service).

I took a look into the sensor itself and found that in the technical spec :

"These calibrated and temperature compensated sensors give an accurate and stable output over a wide temperature range. This series is intended for use with non-corrosive, non-ionic working fluids such as air, dry gases and the like."

https://www.allsensors.com/datasheets/DS-0096_Rev_B7.pdf

BTW Van's sensor is cheaper ;)

Thanks Vic for advice !

I have the vans manifold pressure gage + sensor and the related install kit and have already replaced 2 sensors which stopped performing during flight. i noticed that there is some fluid (water?) in the plastic tube that connects the pass through fitting in the firewall to the sensor. This small amount of liquid (water) might slide into the sensor and damage it. Any ideas how to prevent it?

Good comments already, but also be sure to mount the sensor so the port is pointing down, that way it is hard (dare say impossible) for liquid to accumulate in the sensor.

Back