What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Custom made hoses

randylervold

I'm about to tackle my fwf hoses and was thinking about just figuring out all the lengths and ends needed and ordering them from one of the places that make them for you. I know, I can do it myself, and have before, but in the interest of saving some time and knowing that they will be properly built and pressure tested is all worth something to me.

What sources has anyone used for hoses before and would you recommend them?

Thanks!

Randy, I ordered my FWF hoses from PHT... they're great, very happy wiht service and saved a chunk compared to buying same stuff from Van's. I did use measurements from FWF plans, though.

I made own brake lines where I wasnt' sure what exact lengths I needed.. and I'm glad I didn't order them pre-done from anywhere since it turned out my initial measurements were quite a bit off... so making my own was best thing to do. Had one pressure tested -- held up fine at 2000 psi.. so I think it's gonna work out (we'll see).

Randy,
Sacramento Sky Ranch was also excellent to work with. They also have extensive info on their website concerning hoses.

Jerry

fwf hoses.

I used the parts supplied by Vans and found it very useful and easy to assemble. Cheaper than pre-made hoses and perfect for getting that custom fit. One suggestion I made is the use a fiber cutoff wheel such as a dremel fiber wheel to cut your hoses to length.

I'll second Sacramento Sky Ranch. A few years ago I ordered a new set of hoses for my Citabria. The order was placed by 10am and the hoses were fabricated and shipped the same day... great service!

You can also get them fabricated by a local jobber. Had to do that for my 182 as the original parts were no longer available. In my case, such a jobber existed at an airport nearby. Same day service. If you ask a mechanic at the local airport, he'll probably have a list of a few shops to choose from. Worked great for me.

Dave

I researched all the hose fabricators on the web that I could find and sent in requesting quotes. PHT was the lowest and they did an excellent job.

BTW, the way I figured out my hose lengths was to use a length of clear tubing from the pitot/static system. It fits nicely inside the flared fittings. Since the measurements are from flare to flare, I routed the plastic hose just like I would the real one, and then placed a mark on the plastic hose at each flared end. I then pulled the hose out and measured it on my bench. Every one of my hoses fit perfect.

The other thing I like about these purchased hose assemblies is that they have access to 45 degree and 90 degree stainless steel fittings and got me around a couple of tricky routing problems.

f1rocket said:
BTW, the way I figured out my hose lengths was to use a length of clear tubing from the pitot/static system. It fits nicely inside the flared fittings. Since the measurements are from flare to flare, I routed the plastic hose just like I would the real one, and then placed a mark on the plastic hose at each flared end. I then pulled the hose out and measured it on my bench. Every one of my hoses fit perfect.
Ooh, good idea Randy, I was going to use .040 safety wire but the tubing sounds much better, thanks!

teflon

f1rocket said:
I researched all the hose fabricators on the web that I could find and sent in requesting quotes. PHT was the lowest and they did an excellent job.

I also found PHT to have the best hose prices. They also seemed to have the least mark up for the premium teflon, integral firesleeve hoses.

These have a much smaller diameter that regular firesleeved hoses and might help out in tight situations.

gil in Tucson

Since you're in the NW, I recently has Spencer Aircraft in Puyallup, WA modify a couple of hoses for me. They did a great job, even called me on a Saturday to clarify my instructions.

Dave

Best price anywhere

will be had at your local hydraulics shoppe...Try $2 a foot plus steel fittings but you'll have to buy your own firesleeve which they will install for you.

Yes they do carry the teflon braided hose.
The only down side is i have not found a hydraulics place that will supply the swept fittings...But they do have angle swivel fittings which i needed one of.

You can do the same with oil hoses too.

These are very high quality hoses.

Frank
Frank

frankh said:
will be had at your local hydraulics shoppe...Try $2 a foot plus steel fittings but you'll have to buy your own firesleeve which they will install for you.

Yes they do carry the teflon braided hose.
The only down side is i have not found a hydraulics place that will supply the swept fittings...But they do have angle swivel fittings which i needed one of.

You can do the same with oil hoses too.

These are very high quality hoses.

Frank
Frank

There's also every chance they're made from hose and fittings produced in China with absolutely no Quality Control.

There's no possible redundancy in fuel and oil line hoses...if they fail you're coming down...or catching fire...or both.

It's an area builders would be best served using aviation quality components such as Aeroquip. There are areas in RV building where it may be worth considering el cheapo no-name brands....fuel lines are not one of them.

Brown & Miller Racing Solutions: BMRS

http://www.bmrs.net/ 'Brown & Miller Racing Solutions' "BMRS" has the lightest hoses available if anyone is interested in weight savings. They build oil, fuel and coolant lines for 95% of all Nextel Cup, 'NASCAR', INDY, CART and quite a few experimental aircrafts. I was at there facility 1 year ago in Concord, NC and you cannot believe what they have. Quality Number 1. There web site does not show or do justice. BTW, Shawn Tucker, Wagstaff and many other airshow pilots use Brown&Miller as they are the top of the line over any XYZ from what I've seen or been around. They made some hoses for me while I was out there and they are AAA number one in my opinion. Cost wise???? Not to bad but there are cheaper places to get custom hoses made. If you want a Ferrari go to "Brown & Miller" :p

Last edited:
Falcon Crest in Houston

Falcon Crest Aviation Supply is the only Aeroquip hose shop in Houston. The hose assembler, Hank, is a personal friend of my brothers and has been making hoses for many years. He made several for me. I'm not sure how their prices compare but they make good hoses. Phone # is (713) 644-2290

Karl

If you were in SoCAL, you can walk in and out of Herber Aircraft Service with what you need in less than 30 minutes. They are only about one mile from where I work.

http://www.herberaircraft.com/

They made my prop governor line. I used a piece of air hose and Parker Push Lock fittings to mock it up and they fab a Stainless Steel braid Teflon line in 15 minutes for $53 USD. Granted that was 10 years ago.

They typically have a booth at Oshkosh AirVenture.

Custom Made Hoses

A.E.R.O. in Granite City makes custom made Stratoflex hoses. They ship same day or next day depending on the time you place the order and dry time for hoses requiring fire sleeve. Great Service!

Randy,
I made on my own on both my planes, and have helped with several others. The cost to do it my self was slightly less on the first plane since I had to buy the mandrals(sp?)... but since then they get cheaper with each use. I have not had a leak on the 30 sompthing hoses I have made. Its easy and certaily more convenient. I use the aeroquip 303 hose and firesleve. Instrustions here

My buddy Scott ordered his pre made like others here and it was a disaster on his io540 with inverted oil. Trying to get those big hose lengths correct even using tubing for measurement was a bear as they overlap and cross all over the place making it hard to get the exact length correct until other hoses are installed. Making your own one at a time is easy to do and quite rewarding. I recommend it.
best,

speaking of hoses

While we're talking about it, what is the recommended replacement criteria for fuel and oil hoses? I read somewhere that every five years or at major overhaul, whichever comes first, is the key. I'm nowhere near needing a major (I hope!), but have six years on the hoses. So, what are all the other old-timers out there doing?

Oh, I made my own hoses, but didn't really enjoy it. Yanking that wrench around like a madman while practically tearing the vise/bench off the wall was...interesting to say the least. I'll let a pro replicate them next time.

Normal life on the hoses is 5 years (including shelf time). However I must admit that I have been somewhat lax in that mine are 14 years old. I hereby promise to move them up the priority list. The Teflon lined hoses supposedly have unlimited life.

Mel said:
The Teflon lined hoses supposedly have unlimited life.

In the certificated world the Teflon hoses get replaced as well. In the Experimental world their life may be "unlimited"....but your life is not !!!

Personally I'd replace all hoses over time. Fuel or oil hose failure in particular is bound to be catastrophic....certainly not an area to pinch on pennies.

Mel said:
Normal life on the hoses is 5 years (including shelf time). However I must admit that I have been somewhat lax in that mine are 14 years old. I hereby promise to move them up the priority list. The Teflon lined hoses supposedly have unlimited life.

Do 'em soon please Mel! I blew an oil hose on my Grumman one time, and dumped the entire sump before the oil presure light went on. The hoses were 12 years old, and crumbled like an old mummy. Luckily, I was three minutes from a deadstick landing at Galveston, and did no permanent damage....

You're too valuable to all of us to lose!

Paul

PHT

I also used PHT with great service. I used a coat hanger to fabricate the lengths. Worked great.

Back