What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

lube

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
what are others doing about any lube to assemblies such as the flaperon mixer? no bearings but a lot of metal to metal movement.

Hi Bob,

I get to see a lot of LSA aircraft and they are all in the same boat. After a few years of trying different things I use a product called INOX lubricating spray. It has no solvents or hydrocarbon distillates. It is safe around paints, windshields and rubber products. I lube all hinges and rod ends with it at the 100 hr/Annual. It hasn't let me down after 10 years and I haven't hurt or caused damage to any aircraft.
I can pick it up at my Ace Hardware (a.k.a. Ace Aviation :)) or it can be ordered online. I know lots of people who use it now.

p.s.
I'm sure there are many other good products out there and this is just my personal preference.

Last edited:
thanks for the replys. i have read and it makes sense that silicone lube downside it that it is really difficult to remove and that it will bite you down the road if you need to touch up paint that has silicone on it. that said this stuff sounds like a good solution and i will get some. i use a syringe and hypo. needle to get the hinges and never get any oil where i don't want it . i will try spraying some silicone into a small container and drawing it up from there.
thanks for the feedback.

Rarely do people need to paint where they use silicone (crevasses, rod ends and hinges). That said if the need ever does come up no matter what is there (oil, silicone, Teflon, ect..) it will all have to be cleaned before painting.

From the website: INOX-mx3 contains no silicon

Also: Caution: inox may effect some natural rubber products with continual long term use.

Robert! I'm guessing silicone has yet to be invented in Austrailia? hahaha (or have you all discovered something better!)

I guess I'm going to have to change my particular language terms when I describe this from now on. (no silicone)

Robert! I'm guessing silicone has yet to be invented in Austrailia? hahaha (or have you all discovered something better!)

Don't know what they have in Austrailia, Pete, but here in Australia we have plenty of silicone, and even more silicon. The outback is full of the stuff! :D

I guess I'm going to have to change my particular language terms when I describe this from now on. (no silicone)

•INOX-mx3 contains no silicon, acid, kerosene or dieseline

Yep, that's what the ad says Roger. No silicon .... makes it too gritty.
Probably hasn't got any silicone in it either. :rolleyes:

AeroShell Grease 33

I am going to use AeroShell Grease 33 for most of my airframe parts which have to be lubricated. It's an universal airframe grease and highly corrosion protective.
However, from their specs. I can't tell whether it contains Silicone.

http://www.shell.com/global/product...ion/aeroshell/products/greases/grease-33.html

They claim: "Of 359 grease application points on a Boeing 737 - AeroShell Grease 33 lubricates all but 9 of them"
So, what is good for Boeing and Co. can't be that bad for my little RV.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
i brought up the silicone thing because i had read that the property that makes it so desireable [adheres well] also makes it show up in places that were handled long after. i got the impression normal stuff to remove oil won't touch silicone.
ideally the oil is thin so capillary action takes it into the fitting and the lubricant doesn't dry out.
as my current plane is wood and cloth i probably am more careful about getting oil on other places besides the fitting. like i said before a hypodermic needle gets in really tight places with no ''overspray''.

Back