What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Loading the Baggage Area

todehnal

Well Known Member
Considering that our baggage area is a bit small in our RV-12s, is there any thought about placing a small, light weight gym bag on top of the tank, as long as I keep the total baggage area weight within the 50 lb limitation. I can find nothing in any of the documentation that addresses this issue. I have carpeting and it just looks like an ideal place for a small gym bag, but I certainly don't want to jeopardize the integrity of my tank. It would even be easily reachable in flight! Any thought??

Tom

I keep a couple of folded towels and washcloths on top of the tank. Use them for covering the seats in the bright sun. I don't put anything else on top of the tank.

I guess I'm the exception here. When I'm loaded up for a long cross country trip, baggage space is at a premium. I don't hesitate to load lighter duffle bags, pillows, etc, on top of the tank if I need to. Space is space, and I usually need more of it. As long as you can secure the stuff from flying around, and as long as you're not putting a tool box or something like that up there, you should be fine.

Heck, my tank isn't even covered with carpet either, it's polished. And I still use it.

Towels, washcloths, jacket, pillows, blanket - yeah, no problem with that stuff. The tank SUPPORTS expect up to 120 pounds inside the tank plus g-force. Burn off a gallon or two and that's 6-12 pounds. (The TOP of the tank isn't "specifically designed" to bear weight though. So, soft stuff, common sense. It is a sturdy box.)

Back