What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

to install the engine cowls or just wait

shefferm

I'm New Here
Guys, almost finished the airframe (RV-7). The budget for the engine, propeller and firewall forward kit is not available yet, (maybe next year...) should I, or shouldn't I start assembling the engine cowls? I know Vans recommends starting this part only with installed engine. Any good advice?

Must have engine installed, or a mock engine installed. It would be impossible to position it correctly otherwise. How about the gear legs, wheels and fairings, canopy, avionics, interior, empennage fairing, autopilot servos, etc.

Last edited:
Waiting on engine

Yea, I'm in same story waiting to buy an engine. Had to buy an O-540 for my Cherokee this year. RV next year. But there are lots of little things to finish like all the fiberglass tips, lights, wiring to tail and wings. Rivet on the wing bottom skins and stuff 'em full of wires, test and put connectors on the ends. Install the trim servos and wires. Install damping material on floor. Mount engine mount. Wheels, brakes, nose gear modifications, fairings? Are all these things done?

As stated, you might consider acquiring an engine core. Do all the cowl work with that. Then send it off for an overhaul when you are ready, or sell it to the next guy.

Bevan

Must have engine installed, or a mock engine installed. It would be impossible to position it correctly otherwise. How about the gear legs, wheels and fairings, canopy, avionics, interior, empennage fairing, autopilot servos, etc.

Couldn't have said it better. :)

You must have a frame of reference so one of the best ways, if you can swing it, is to use a core engine with crankshaft minus the cylinders. This allows lots of room in there to reach inside to mark and cut the cowl. (Jay Pratt's advice from several years ago :)

Back