What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New iPad?

On the altitude issue with the Ipad there was testing for how the Ipad would operate during a explosive decompression. No problems were noted and if I recall they did the test at 51,000 feet. I don't think altitude will be a issue for RV operations.

George

My altitude performance is similar to Mikerkba's, ditto with an iPad 1, and like sailvi767 suggests, I doubt that explosive decompression will be a factor in my Cessna 180 or the RV-3B that I'll start next month.

In my operation, the iPad and SkyCharts Pro is the primary GPS, with a handheld 600C for back-up and to provide more readable trip data.

Dave

Readability compromise

I have an original iPad, and use it in my 6A. The brightness issue is a consideration, but the other positives of its in cockpit use far outweigh it's less than ideal readability. I would not dismiss it as unusable under the bubble. With a lap mount and a Kroger shade I'm happy with it. Trying to justify getting the new iPad. A few more nits would be good, but not necessary.

Key points...

The anti glare screen protector and non polarized sunglasses are the key.....

Using Ipad 1 and no overhead shade on a leg velcro strap....

The new ipad is reviewed in today's issue of the Wall Street Journal. The review is very favorable, and raves about the amazing resolution of the screen. However, here is the key statement for us:

"One thing Apple hasnt fixed: like all glossy, LCD color displays, this one still does poorly in direct sunlight."

erich

The new ipad is reviewed in today's issue of the Wall Street Journal. The review is very favorable, and raves about the amazing resolution of the screen. However, here is the key statement for us:

"One thing Apple hasnt fixed: like all glossy, LCD color displays, this one still does poorly in direct sunlight."

erich

Some one try scotchbrite and report back to the rest of us! :eek:

New iPad

erich

OK Erich, have you never heard of an anti-glare screen? Try the one made by ZAGG, installed free at your local Best Buy store. Or you could just try the scotchbrite trick and report back to us! :p

Apps Expanding

Looks like the newer apps and the upgraded apps for the new iPad are increasing in size to accommodate the new screen. So if memory remaining is an issue for you, don't upgrade your working apps.

Dave

The new screen is in one word, amazing to look at! Sunlight readability may be slightly better, but not a hugely significant amount - though I don't have a screen protector for it yet to compare against my Ipad2 with the anti-glare on it.

I'll try to get some pictures for ya'll when I can.

Cheers,
Stein

...have you never heard of an anti-glare screen?...

I've heard of an anti-glare screen. :D

This shot looks like I am tilting the iPad to make the glare worse, but actually, I took several shots with it tilted at various angles and this one was the best at showing you that it is indeed turned on.

IMG8163-L.jpg

Got my new iPad today. I'm a little bummed as the "Home" button is flaky (have to press it hard for it to work -- unlike my colleague's iPad which he also received today) and I have an appointment tomorrow morning at the Genius Bar to see if I can get it swapped. Of course they will probably be sold out, but maybe they can get me going in the right direction. We'll see how Apple's customer care comes in.

I tried the Zagg

OK Erich, have you never heard of an anti-glare screen? Try the one made by ZAGG, installed free at your local Best Buy store. Or you could just try the scotchbrite trick and report back to us! :p

I borrowed a friend's iPad2, bought a Zagg anti-glare screan protector for it, and tried it out in my RV-8. (no sun shades)

The anti-glare helps get rid of the glare/reflections, but makes the poor screen brightness slightly worse. The image is just too dim to be practical for reading sectionals in flight, IMHO.

Sigh.

glare remedies

Glare shields really do help - see here for my testing of some last year:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=557874#post557874

Also, I found while flying to OSH last summer that my cardboard camping/parking sign worked great for cutting glare. Often, I could just leave it sitting on the panel glare shield and hanging over to shade the iPad. When sun angles did not let that shade the iPad, I simply leave the cardboard sign laying on teh panel glare shield and pick it it up and hold it over the iPad when I need to read it. Overall, I've found the iPad quite usable in flight. Not ideal, and a big disappointment that the iPad3 didn't address the glossy screen, but still quite usable.

Got my new iPad today. I'm a little bummed as the "Home" button is flaky (have to press it hard for it to work -- unlike my colleague's iPad which he also received today) and I have an appointment tomorrow morning at the Genius Bar to see if I can get it swapped. Of course they will probably be sold out, but maybe they can get me going in the right direction. We'll see how Apple's customer care comes in.

But what about brightness? Does it seem better? Is there a noticable difference from previous iPads? I won't bother to buy one until its display is brighter. I will probably be able to check one out myself this weekend.

But what about brightness? Does it seem better? Is there a noticable difference from previous iPads? I won't bother to buy one until its display is brighter. I will probably be able to check one out myself this weekend.

Like I said a couple posts ago, the display on the new Ipad is freakin awesome - but the brightness is only marginally better. I had both out in the sun today and there isn't a whole lot of difference, although I don't have a anti-glare screen on it yet. I haven't got any pictures of the two laying in the sun (New Ipad and the Ipad2) for comparison, but will try to shortly.

Cheers,
Stein

The following were taken in front of my house, mostly in the partial shade of pine trees. The sun was at my back. iPad (first generation) is on left and new iPad is on right. Both iPads were set at maximum brightness.

The things are really good mirrors so the angle is everything and any shade you can provide is a huge help. In the first several photos the displays are shaded by my body.

DSCF2708.jpg

DSCF2709.jpg

DSCF2710.jpg

DSCF2711.jpg

The mirror effect you get at a certain angle.

DSCF2712.jpg

DSCF2713.jpg

DSCF2714.jpg

DSCF2715.jpg

This is pretty much direct sun. Notice that the reflection is so overwhelming that that is what the camera focused on.

DSCF2716.jpg

So my opinion is that there is no significant difference in readability among the three iPad models. The colors seem just a bit more intense on the new iPad.

Last edited:
ipad

I have not purchased any avionics/flight instr. yet for my day/night vfr -8 yet. I pretty much stay confused about it. I am waiting, just not sure for what....probably more money. If I could read an Ipad in my 8 I don't see why I could not just have that for nav, flight planning, weather. Then I would only have to worry about engine monitoring and basic six pack, but then the ipad can do the six pack thing to I guess. Still musing, still wondering what would be the most economical. I really like all the new glass, great companies, but expensive for me.

bird

Testing was done and shown the ipad was not up to any secondary or needed six-pack back up. It is rated well for the other uses.

just saw the tests and, as everyone has mentioned, the brightness came out to be the same as ipad 2. The screen has a slightly blue-er tent to it and the new ipads screen did not have the uniformity in brightness as the ipad 2. But it could have been just a bad unit. (the edges on the short sides were tested dimmer than a few pixels in.

But the screen is amazingly sharp. So now we notice the pixilation of the photos more but text is very easy to read.

But my opinion is still that the ipad or any other tablet is not a substitute for dedicated instruments.

But my opinion is still that the ipad or any other tablet is not a substitute for dedicated instruments.
. I agree with this statement. I am typing this message out on the new IPad now. I find the abilities very impressive but there are too many short comings to think I could use this as a primary flight display.

Just to follow-up on this, I made a Genius Bar appointment at the local retail Apple store (Mall of Georgia) and after 10 seconds of fiddling with the old one the nice guy went to the back and swapped it out, no problem at all.

iPad3

Thanks to all for the great pics and enlightening comments. The jury has reached a verdict...

Primary Flight Display?

. I agree with this statement. I am typing this message out on the new IPad now. I find the abilities very impressive but there are too many short comings to think I could use this as a primary flight display.

Guys, Mike D, Steve, I don't think anyone on any iPad series postings have ever claimed that it could be used as a Primary Flight Display. It's sole purpose right now is for VFR navigation only. This horse has just about been ridden to death.
Use it for an inexpensive nav backup or go spend $3,500 plus on the aviation GPS of your choice!

Guys, Mike D, Steve, I don't think anyone on any iPad series postings have ever claimed that it could be used as a Primary Flight Display. It's sole purpose right now is for VFR navigation only. This horse has just about been ridden to death.
Use it for an inexpensive nav backup or go spend $3,500 plus on the aviation GPS of your choice!
I was actually replying to this quote from above:
Originally Posted by bird View Post
I have not purchased any avionics/flight instr. yet for my day/night vfr -8 yet. I pretty much stay confused about it. I am waiting, just not sure for what....probably more money. If I could read an Ipad in my 8 I don't see why I could not just have that for nav, flight planning, weather. Then I would only have to worry about engine monitoring and basic six pack, but then the ipad can do the six pack thing to I guess. Still musing, still wondering what would be the most economical. I really like all the new glass, great companies, but expensive for me.

bird

So not sure if someone on this thread is suggesting using an IPad as a primary flight display or not. However, these people are:
http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/aircraft/pilot-reports/sportairusa/icub-love.html

Last edited:
I have used an original iPad for 2 years in my RV6a, and flew with it around the US this past summer as my flight planning software and in-flight maps and approach plates (Foreflight).
Never had an altitude issue ( flew typically at 12,000'). The iPad overheated once when it was left in the closed cockpit , and cooled off in a few minutes.
The display is usable for this purpose, although not as bright as I would like. I either don't wear sunglasses, or wear flip-up sunglasses, so I can see the screen well. I use a Ram mount, and can position it so that the reflection off my clothes or sun is minimized. Also, I use an anti-glare shield, but it has to be a good one (some are highly recommended only because they are easy to put on).
VFR charts are the big challenge, but when zoomed in enough you can read them just fine.
I agree that the iPad is not to be used as a Primary Flight Display, but that does not mean that it cannot be a primary source of maps. I carry an iPod Touch as a backup in case the iPad dies on me.

Anyone else notice a substantial heating difference between the iPad 3 compared to the iPad 2?

My wife's 2 feels like cool aluminum after hours. Several 3's that I've handled generate much more heat. Could be a player under the "bubble"?

Regards,

Scott

Nominal heat diff.

The report I read was that the new iPad will heat more than the iPad 2 when playing video games. Otherwise, the heat is approximately the same. A coworker has a 2 and new one and confirmed this.

The good news, according to Jay Leno, is that the added heat of the new iPad killed off all of the "Angry Birds.":D

Mine arrives Tuesday!!!

iPad 3

My friend reports that his iPad 3 can put off enough heat to be uncomfortable to hold. Wow!

My friend reports that his iPad 3 can put off enough heat to be uncomfortable to hold. Wow!

That's been my experience with 4 different iPad 3s. I wasnt playing any video games. Just surfing around on web pages.

Love the display, but temp is concerning.

I have the iPad 3 and have not had any temp issues at all. It doesn't even get warm - and I've been using it a lot. I even rendered a movie with iMovie with no issues. Maybe it's the GPU getting warm? Forflight certainly causes no issues.

iPad 3

Just a thought.

Since the iPad 3 has a much clearer screen maybe adding the anti-reflective overlay material would work better than on the iPad 1 & 2.

I either don't wear sunglasses, or wear flip-up sunglasses, so I can see the screen well.

I had some prescription sunglasses made with a graduated tint - the lenses are dark at the top - light at the bottom. It darkens the view out of the cockpit, but I can still the GPS, EFIS & map etc clearly. Works really well.

Dave

Back