What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Golden West this Weekend

eison

It looks like the planets are going to align in early June. My Wife and Daughter will be gone on the weekend of the Golden West Fly in. I can either pound rivets on the -10, or fly my grumman up to Marysville.

Any Pireps on the event? I would most likely camp with the plane, are the facilities as good as OSH?

I would enjoy meeting some of those people that know the joy of drilled fingers and cleco clamp blood blisters:eek::eek:. Anyone have plans to attend????

Eric Ison
RV10 Emp

Worth the trip??

Seeing that this received no responses, I am bumping it back up. I had also planned on attending for months. Having seen it on Van's schedule, I assumed that it would be my opportunity to check out the RV-12 and also hopefully compare it to other kits out there. I also assumed that it would be a good event to check out other equipment, tools, etc.

However, in a recent email exchange with Van's, I discovered that the RV-12 won't even be there. :( (REALLY BUMMED) Nor is a couple other kits I wanted to see/compare. I'm not seeing any tool vendors... and only a couple of avionics related folks.

Is this show worth an 8 hour drive? Or is it just another small town airshow with a few more vendors??

Does anyone have any experiences with this show?

DJ

Is this show worth an 8 hour drive? Or is it just another small town airshow with a few more vendors??

Does anyone have any experiences with this show?

DJ

Yep.

I have attended every year since it moved to Marysville. Worked as a volunteer most of the time.

It is a bit more than just "another small town airshow", but definitely not (yet, but we keep hoping) another Sun n Fun, or Arlington etc.

Worth the drive??? Well Chief, I cant make that decision for you, however if your main interest was to see the RV 12 ETC, then I think you answered your own question.

There was a group of builders on the airport who were working on a bunch of Zenith (IIRC) LSAs, kind of a builder support school setup. But that certainly is not an RV:D

SoCal RVs at GoldenWest

I just saw on the Goldenwest web site that the Socal RVers will do a formation flight demo at Golden West - this makes the trip worth it for me :)
Of course I will wear my sunglasses to protect my eyes from the glare off all that shinny bare aluminum! :D
Dave C
-7 flying

I just saw on the Golden West web site that the Socal RVers will do a formation flight demo at Golden West - this makes the trip worth it for me :)
Of course I will wear my sunglasses to protect my eyes from the glare off all that shinny bare aluminum! :D Dave C-7 flying
Shinny bare aluminum = CPS = Chino Power Squadron :)

I'll be there Saturday & Sunday with Tuppergal and flying along side the CPS (after a quick trip to/from Las Vegas tonight :) Rosie

Friday's findings

Dynon is there. As is Eagle Engines, Vertical Power, Wick's, Aircraft Spruce and PC Avionics.

Today I met Dan Checkoway and Randy Lervold. In Van's display is Joe Blank (Van's employee) with a RV-6 and Vertical Power's RV-7. Stewart Systems is there with their water based primers and paints. I was impressed by them. Quiet Flight Solutions has a Cessna 150 fuselage showing their insulation materials. They offer a RV-10 sound reduction kit. Bonaco was there that offers stainless steel/teflon brake and fuel lines. Aerocrafters were there with a RV-10 that had a large door "the big oil door" they call it, on the left side of the cowling. I also saw a couple of RV's with very nice interiors and fancy seats. Hey, N819VK and N61ED, nice planes.

Sorry, no RV-12 today. As a matter of fact, no other Van's prototypes were there. I don't know if any are coming in on Saturday and forgot to ask Joe Blank about it.

I'm here!

I'm at Golden West all weekend. I'm the guy in the red shirt and aussie hat selling LSA's. Look for the cool Skylarks with the wingtips! We also have the MGL Odyssey in our booth, fired up and working.....lots of fun to play with :D.
We're right across from the big white tent. Stop by and say HI.

Mcfly you stink

Y@, I'll remember this the next time you to borrow clecoes, angle, tools, labor...;)

It's just not in the cards for me but you guys have a great time and give us all a good PIREP.

Thank you for the kind words (I'll ignore that last part...:rolleyes:). But to my knowledge there is no RV formation demo planned for this year, at least by the SoCal/NorCal Rvers (now joined as the West Coast Ravens). For various reasons, it just didn't come together. Still plenty of other reasons to go.

I just saw on the Goldenwest web site that the Socal RVers will do a formation flight demo at Golden West - this makes the trip worth it for me :)
Of course I will wear my sunglasses to protect my eyes from the glare off all that shinny bare aluminum! :D
Dave C
-7 flying

There today and tomorrow

I'll be at Golden West all day Saturday. I'm the guy in the red shirt (beneath an orange thingie) marshalling and parking warbirds.

It's a nice event, however today (Friday) we did have an incident. A pilot appparently bounced, then porposed on landing, then snapped his nosegear.

We raced out to the runway to check on him and the airplane. He's fine. Airplane? Not so good. Here is a snap (taken after making sure that pilot's good, and that I'm not in the way.)

Flying-airshow-acconst609038.jpg

Anyone wanting to stop by warbirds and say hi, here's the character to look for. (And no, I didn't fly the T-34).

Flying-airshow-acconst609030.jpg

Say Hi

If you're at Golden West this weekend, be sure to stop by our display area and introduce yourself. Look for me with this plane:
188_4.jpg

I'll be flying this in the showcase each day at 11:00 and 2:45.

Craig - -

I wasn't able to make it by, but I was impressed with the Skylark flybys!

Nice airplane (for a non-RV, naturally).

Scott, missed seeing you at the show, but I did get a good look at the plane.

It is every bit as good looking in person as the photos you have posted, nice to see it "in the flesh".

Back