What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron rigging

Bsquared

Well Known Member
When the ailerons are faired to the wingtip plus the 1/16” for aero loads are they supposed to be even with the flaps in the reflex (full up hard stop against the spar) position?

Thanks all for the confirmation. Final assembly/hanging the wings has highlighted my one big issue. One aileron has a slight twist that results in the inboard side of the right aileron being 1/8” below the outboard edge of the flap when they are in the reflex position. I am going to fly it like that and see if it bothers me or results in a heavy wing.

Rigging

Does this mean that you rigged the wingtips to be in alignment with the flap position ie the neutral aileron TE position on the ground being a little bit above the wingtips TE position?

I used the Vans supplied jig and made the flaps and wingtips according to the plans. After the aircraft was flying I noticed the ailerons were deflected down due to dynamic pressure at cruise flight. I then adjusted the ailerons upward until the aileron were in line at cruise flight conditions. This actually increased my speed slightly. My post above included a link to this concept by RVbuilder2002, I only wish the post existed before I figured it out. I point it out to save others time. Side note: my ailerons are deflected up one paint stirring stick above the flaps (-3 position) on the ground. I needed some kind of reference and I had a paint stick. :)

Let me describe it in better detail:
(1) built according to plans
(2) got flying and noticed a heavy wing
(3) adjusted the flaps with a common reference (rivet line) found a 1/16” discrepancy causing the heavy wing. Adjusted flaps flew and found the problem was twice as bad, then adjusted in the proper direction. :)
(4) after adjusting flaps, I then adjusted the ailerons to trail with flaps and wingtips IN CRUISE FLIGHT. I don’t really care how they trail on the ground.

Last edited:
Marvin
I will be starting Phase 1 in a few weeks and I am still a bit unclear on the reflex functionality. I believe that take off and climb are done with the flaps at the Zero degree position which is 3 degrees from full up position and then raised to full up (hard stop against the aft spar) for cruise. Is that correct?

Marvin
I will be starting Phase 1 in a few weeks and I am still a bit unclear on the reflex functionality. I believe that take off and climb are done with the flaps at the Zero degree position which is 3 degrees from full up position and then raised to full up (hard stop against the aft spar) for cruise. Is that correct?
That is correct. The reflex is intended for cruise. With that said, do not worry if you forget and takeoff and climb in reflex. It just takes a bit longer roll and reduced climb rate. Still safe if your runway is long enough. I operate off of grass so my normal takeoff consists of half flaps.

Yes. When rigging the ailerons don’t forget to clamp the elevator in trail.

+1

"The shivers" -- That brief out-of-body/panic-attack when you think you've seen a ghost, sasquatch, or the moment when you clamp one aileron down, then move the elevator and watch the other aileron move...

Back