What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Building RV6 wing tank on flying plane

Martyrv6a

Well Known Member
I am considering building a new wing tank for my RV6A that was involved with the bird strike. While the dents appear minor, prudence dictates that I consider rebuilding the tank. I am the original builder. My skins were pre-punched. Has anybody got experience in doing this? Thanks for your replies. Marty

A friend of mine ran over some PAPI lights and really beat his up. We built a new one and did the final skin trims after test fitting it to the wing. The tank skin came undrilled where it laps onto the spar. You could request it that way I'm sure. I put masking tape on the wing and made screw hole centerline marks out a few inches onto the tape. I did two lines from each hole at different angles so that I could cross the lines back onto the new skin. I put marks at 2" away from the center of the holes and marked it all back onto the new tank for drilling. The two inch marks and the crossed lines were a location cross check. I believe I drilled #30 with a stop and clecoed them to the spar as I went. Once all the holes were drilled up to #19, I deburred and dimpled. It was sort of tedious, but it worked out well. Other than it was unpainted, you couldn't tell that it wasn't original.

The tank skins are .032. If you can live with the dents, it is unlikely to crack and leak. My friend's was seriously dented and gouged and held fuel.

Ed Holyoke

Thanks Ed. I’m going to decide this weekend weather to repair or rebuild. The dents are small and no evidence of any skin issues other than cosmetic. One issue may be the match up of the fuselage to tank mount. Was this an issue for you?
Marty

PDR

With all the aluminum body panels on modern cars & trucks, PDR (paintless dent repair), also called "glue pulling aluminum" is becoming very common.

The process works by adhering a pull anvil to the panel with adhesive, pulling, inspecting, repeat etc. etc.... until it's gone. All done from the outside, with the paint intact.

I don't do it but expect there would be plenty of shops who would do in any larger metro area. The gear is portable like windshield repair, so in a hangar should work fine.

This is all assuming you have a small "bird size" dent to tackle and the tank is structurally sound.

Might be less pain than building a new tank.

With all the aluminum body panels on modern cars & trucks, PDR (paintless dent repair), also called "glue pulling aluminum" is becoming very common.

The process works by adhering a pull anvil to the panel with adhesive, pulling, inspecting, repeat etc. etc.... until it's gone. All done from the outside, with the paint intact.

I don't do it but expect there would be plenty of shops who would do in any larger metro area. The gear is portable like windshield repair, so in a hangar should work fine.

This is all assuming you have a small "bird size" dent to tackle and the tank is structurally sound.

Might be less pain than building a new tank.

Sounds like that might work, but the wing skin has a small “outie” and 4 small dents including a break in the paint. If there is no break in the AL perhaps the dent doctor is a choice. I’m just looked to see if rebuilding is a possible option from someone who’s gone before me.. Marty

Thanks Ed. I’m going to decide this weekend weather to repair or rebuild. The dents are small and no evidence of any skin issues other than cosmetic. One issue may be the match up of the fuselage to tank mount. Was this an issue for you?
Marty

I don't have a specific memory, but I'm pretty sure I took measurements and placed the forward mount based on that. One could allow a little wiggle room and fill that with a shim if necessary.

Ed Holyoke

Sounds like that might work, but the wing skin has a small “outie” and 4 small dents including a break in the paint. If there is no break in the AL perhaps the dent doctor is a choice. I’m just looked to see if rebuilding is a possible option from someone who’s gone before me.. Marty

Howdy Marty,

It's very nearly impossible to fly an airplane a lot and have it look perfect. Mine is only 3 years old and has dents, paint chips, and areas of wear. I've landed on the dry lake. I've repaired the wheel pants and the spinner. It still looks pretty darn good from 10'. ;-)
I think of it as a go plane instead of a showplane. I don't like it when I see a new paint chip and I don't go crazy about it. If a dentless repair guy can get it to where it doesn't offend you too much every time you see it.....

Ed Holyoke

I did it on my RV4

I am considering building a new wing tank for my RV6A that was involved with the bird strike. While the dents appear minor, prudence dictates that I consider rebuilding the tank. I am the original builder. My skins were pre-punched. Has anybody got experience in doing this? Thanks for your replies. Marty

Hi
I built a new right tank on my RV4. Its a big project but very doable. It will require thinking ahead and using some tricks for picking up the appropriate holes.

One trick is already mentioned and I know a few more if you are interested

Cm

Hi
I built a new right tank on my RV4. Its a big project but very doable. It will require thinking ahead and using some tricks for picking up the appropriate holes.

One trick is already mentioned and I know a few more if you are interested

Cm

You bet I’d like and appreciate any ticks or “gotchas”. I see Van’s sells a wing kit for the RV4!

Back