What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mag cushion

philb

Well Known Member
Any tricks to retrieving mag cushion dropped into engine🙁

Tried search function, but can?t see where anybody has fessed up...

Phil
RV-10 finishing (or so I thought...)

Bill, it is an intermediate piece of rubber for cushioning the mag drive.

Looks like you are taking that engine apart unless you can get lucky with a borescope and fish it out.

:( CJ

It will come out through the oil drain plug hole. Remove plug and drain oil. Fish cushion with safety wire through the drain hole until it can be seen. Use small "mechanical fingers" or hemostats to get ahold of the end of the cushion and it will come out. It takes patience and a lot of four letter words but it can be done.
Dave

Even if you drain the oil the borescope will typically get coated with oil from rubbing against surfaces and not be of much use. Also really hard to fish areound in the sump from the drain hole because it?s not at all flat inside.

My suggestion is to drain the oil and then jury rig some small flexible tubing up to a shop vac and go fishing down the mag whole that the pad was lost in. It?s got to be pretty much straight down in the sump unless it got caught up on a gear in the accessory case.

Good luck. Worst case is you pull the sump. No fun but not the end of the world either

Erich

You could try removing the oil filler tube and have a look from above. I did this and found something successfully in the sump for one silly mistake that I'd like to forget.

Got a good look at it with a borescope- thank you harbor freight! Straight down.

It does look look like I?ll be able to get to it from a drain hole - hopefully will fit!

Yikes- wasn?t looking forward to dropping the sump....

Phil

If the cushions were glued to the cup, then a magnet on a string dropped down the mag hole may work. It did for me.

Any tricks to retrieving mag cushion dropped into engine🙁

Tried search function, but can?t see where anybody has fessed up...

Phil
RV-10 finishing (or so I thought...)

Harbor Freight and Lowe's came through! used to do a lot of endoscopy, but this was made more difficult by not having the grabber tool pass through the endoscope.

Very easy to visualize with the oil drained, 15 minutes of trying after bending the grabber to the right position, and dragged it up the magneto hole.

Mags replaced, oiled up and ready to go - only lost a day or so of productive work - thanks all for the suggestions!

Phil

Back