What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

modeling clay question

mark manda

Well Known Member
Anyone know where to get the modeling clay that doesn't set up and get hard?

I heard Sam James uses it.

thx

If you're looking for clay to make forms for fiberglass layups, green, oil based artist's clay works great. I bought a block of it years ago and it's still pliable today. Find it at an art supply store.

maybe i purchased the wrong stuff for my 7a- it was in a package and it was reddish brown and it set up after a day or so. MIchaels. it worked okay for the canopy hoop.

I need to make some intersection fairings.

the clay that is pliable for years was a greyish color that i saw.

thx for input. brian thx i'll go see what i can find.

Walmart, in the crafts department.

Dick DeCramer
N500DD RV6 flying
RV8 wings
Northfield, MN

Rivet...I've got a bunch of clay in my cabinet at the hangar. Depending on how soon you need it you can steal mine for a while.

8CW said:
How much of this stuff do you generally need for a typical RV?
None - Buy your fairings from Fairings Etc.... and save yourself days of work. They fit almost perfect right out of the box. Unless your **** bent on making them yourself 'cause you just have to. Tap Plastics has mold clay. I bought some but never used.

JonJay said:
None - Buy your fairings from Fairings Etc.... and save yourself days of work. They fit almost perfect right out of the box.

Jonjay's absolutely right. Fairings-etc.com can't be beat. Most of the self-laid ones I've seen are wavy and often don't fit well.

that's a good link or lead Rick.

I made the rounds to WalMart and Michael's again-- No Joy. small packages of the hardening stuff.

So, I ordered two 5 lb. blocks from the company selling Plastiline.

I want to hang the wings to put weight on the landing gear and then lay up all four fairings up front at the same time. Or am I am going to end up just doing one at a timet anyway?

Bob S. didn't return my email request for info. and I never got around to calling him and the plane is a Harmon Rocket so with the wider main gear fairing-- probably can't slap on a 4 or 8 set.

I hate borrowing stuff but thanks Sharpie for the offer. (shoulda borrowed it anyway. :) )

reminder to self-- new in the box Emp fairing from ETC never used on the 7A. Wonder what it's worth?

finally got the plastiline from back east-- Andy's link. thx for all the input guys.

032907057lq2.jpg

Last edited:
emp done

pop it loose on Monday and see what I have.

041407044jn1.jpg

041407043bv4.jpg

041407049ir1.jpg

clay is in place for intersection fairings

Last edited:
Back