What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Newbie Builder need advice

Adam W

Well Known Member
Working on the RV7 empenage and considering the wing kit as its a long delivery. The quick build version is 6000 US dollars more than standard. I understand that the "nasty" gas tank job is done, and many hours are saved. this is a significant amount of money. am i not doing this project to have a project to do? Im looking for some input here on the sense of going with or not going with QB wing kit. How many hours does it save the average builder?

Anyone know of a RV7 wing kit for sale? :)

not doing this project to have a project to do?

Anyone know of a RV7 wing kit for sale? :)

I apologize for possibly seeming rude but the above comments could be construed as red flags for a homebuilt project. Please try to evaluate whether you want to build to fly or build to build before committing a lot of your resources into the project. "Build to build" folks will finish. Not all "build to fly" folks will finish. With the tail, you have barely scratched the surface.

A few years back a set a QB wings came up for sale here, for the price of a slow build kit, I took it! but did a kit build on the fuse, I like to build stuff, you are at a point of a big decision, I had no idea what I was getting into 6 years ago, just now on FWF.......it has been a fun journey!

The SB wings are a big job. Nothing too complex for the most part but just repetitive. I decided to build them because I didn't think they were that difficult. I may have underestimated the amount of work required at that time though. I decided at that time that later on I could make the decision on a QB fuse if I wanted to. I decided to save the money and trade my labor. Now I have the SB fuse. I like the building process but I do need to get this thing flying at some point.

+1

If you enjoy the build process and time is not an issue, go with the standard build kit.

Only you know whether you want to build or not. Even then, you may not know. I went slow build on everything and it's taking much longer than I thought it would, but I'm liking the process and the money saved (about $14K for the RV10 QB wing and fuse kits). That buys a lot of gas, but it won't buy back the time spent. Make sure you are willing to invest the time.

Only you know whether you want to build or not. Even then, you may not know. I went slow build on everything and it's taking much longer than I thought it would, but I'm liking the process and the money saved (about $14K for the RV10 QB wing and fuse kits). That buys a lot of gas, but it won't buy back the time spent. Make sure you are willing to invest the time.

now you're worrying me... my slow build wing kit for my 10 should be shipping any day :(

I love working with the tools, and I don't understand the appeal of the quick-builds myself, but everyone has their own preference.

The quickbuilds just trade dollars for hours in the shop, and only you can answer the question of whether it's worth it for you.

I suggest you put off making a decision on QB or no QB for now. When you are 80% done with the empennage, then revisit the question. If you have a blast building the empennage, then go SB all the way. However if building just feels like a means to the end, I suggest you sell the empennage and buy a finished RV. I agree with a previous reply and don't see much justification for QB. If you love building, build the entire airplane. If building doesn't thrill you, buy a finished RV. I'm in the middle of building my tanks right now and am loving every minute of it. Yes it is a challenge, but there is great satisfaction in completing the difficult things.

Buy a QB kit someone has to part with,still plenty of building to do_Or by the way QB wings not only have the tanks built you get all the control surfaces done also. Then you can SB the fuse well within the 51% rule here in the US.
RHill

thanks for the advice everyone

i think revisiting the question 80% through empenage was good advice
i am building for the build i have a plane to fly so its not a time thing
thanks again

Time

Time time time!

If you are short of this then a QB helps. I bought the QB fuse because of time and it helped me as i am very constrained with time.

Money is an issue, this project will suck up lots so if a budget is in mind then the slow build is the better way. If money is not short a QB helps with TIME!

Good luck

Finished tanks

Does not look like Van's still offers it, but back in 2005 I bought finished tanks with my standard (not slow :D ) build wings. If you're only afraid of the goo, might be worth having someone finish that tanks for you. That alone won't ruin you getting your repairman cert.

I have actually fallen in love with pro-seal. Have a tube in the freezer for non-airplane purposes. Stuff is awesome-it'll seal/join/fix dang near anything. With that being said, still glad I bought pre-built tanks.

15 or 20 years ago, some at Van's used to hint that the QB option was ~$8.00/hr.

Slow build or quick build; the riveting time will seem insignificant compared to finishing the plane.....

;-}

The wings on the RV-4 took a year to build. No prepunched parts. The only shortcut was the Phlogiston spar. Piece of cake. Enjoy the build and marvel at what you built.

more thnks

thanks for the words guys
i think it will be SB wings and QB fuselage
unless i find a QB wing kit for resale relatively untouched

Compared to some other kits and before the pre-punched kits were available, current RV's "are" already sort of quickbuilt kits.

You could have QB tanks that leak and have to be repaired.

Most of the build time is spent after the QB stage. I did slow build over 14 years and don't regret it. I learned a lot and got the airplane I wanted.

You have to acquire the skills anyway. Better to do that on smaller assemblies growing your skills while the airplane grows. Screwing up on a QB assembly could be more costly/disturbing.

Bevan
I too love pro-seal. Keep it in the shop fridge and use it for many tasks. Just take it out of the fridge the day before to let it come up to room temperature.

Or, keep it in the freezer & scoop out what you need when you need it. The amount you're working with will be room temp by the time it's mixed & applied to the parts. :)

Back