What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Approx Build Time of a 10?

RyanM

Well Known Member
Van's doesn't list the build time required for a 10. Does anyone have a feel for how it compares to the other models? Obviously the 10 is more complex, bigger, etc. But how much time does that add to the build?

Ryan

Yes, the -10 is a big plane, with more rivets and parts count in general. Even so, I would expect airframe completion to take not much more time than say, a current -7 or -9 kit. Really, the airframe isn't the major equation. The systems, FWF, interior, panel, paint stuff can really suck up a lot of time when you look at the big picture. After my RV8 airframe was basically done, it seemed to take ages to get through all the other stuff. I was almost longing to see my rivet gun again!

For me, the big difference in the -10 vs. the two seaters is cost. That's why I'm not going to finish my RV10. To properly dress and equip an RV10 for it's intended mission is not an inexpensive endeavor. A very functional, light and fast two holer RV can be built for $50k or even less. The -10 with well-appointed panel, interior, paint and engine/prop will go easily over $100k.

I would not let the airframe size and build time deter you from the -10 if that is really what you need for your mission. Once you get drilling, deburring, riveting....what's a few thousand more rivets when you're looking at over 10,000 of them to begin with? If you really are in a hurry to get flying, then slow build kit maybe isn't the right approach. Go the QB route. We're seeing -10's completed in two years...maybe less? It took me 30 months to get my non-matched hole RV8 flying with VERY dedicated effort. I attacked it like a second job, and this was before kids. Given the same conditions today, I could have a -10 flying in the same time, even though it's a lot bigger. You no longer have to build jigs. My -10 empecone kit was incredibly easy to build. I just nibbled away at it a few hours per week and it just fell together. Simply amazing kit from the brilliant minds at Van's.

If you're the average working Joe; kids, baseball, ballet, job, house, wife, LIFE, then come to grips with the fact that you'll need 3-5 years to build. That applies to most any airplane. The matched hole kits just improve the odds that you'll still have your sanity when it's all over. :)

I think that the 10 will build quicker for a first time builder

While I was building my RV9A I also help a friend with his RV10. As a first time builder I spent a lot of time reading the direction and look at the plan sheets trying to understand what I was supposed to be doing.
While helping my friend the instruction manual made every step seam very clear. This eliminated a lot of study time, leaving us to work on building the plane.
If this is you second plane the difference in directional material will not matter as much.

There are a few more rivets on the 10, and there is more fiberglass work to do, but mostly the parts are just a little bigger. My friends RV10 was completed in about 18 months. My RV9A was completed in a little over 5 years.

Kent

Since everybody seems to count build time differently it will be very hard to compare numbers. 1800-2200 hours seemed to be the consensus a while back when this was discussed. Tim Olson as I recall spent about 1800 hours on his including panel and paint. He had a QB fuselage so that helped him come in at the low end of that range.

I have slow build versions of everything and have the airframe essentially complete. Remaining tasks are the fairings and endless fiberglass finishing along with a little fit/finish of the cowling and the panel. All FWF wiring and plumbing is complete along with the airframe wiring. I am at the 1400 hour mark and count time spent actually in the shop working on the plane. Not counted are the hours spent outside the shop thinking/pondering.

Bob #40105

I have been at mine for three years and three months. As slow build as you get. Everything is alodined, primed and sealant between every two pieces of metal. Maybe we will be done by Osh but I don't forecast the time anymore since I have been off by almost two years already. I you have put a large scale R/C model together and can read directions you can build it! It just takes a long time and you will learn a lot! Disagree about the airframe time being similiar to the -7 or -9. The -10 is a beast compared to any of them.

I recieved my tailconeon May 1,2005
Finished tailcone on July 1, 2005
Recieved Q/B Kits on October 22, 2005
My plane was finished and ready to fly on July 7, 2006
While wainting for the Q/B kits I totally rebuilt my IO-540 under close supervision of my local A/P
First flight was July 22, 2006
Total loged time was just under 1000 hrs
I'm retired and made this my full time job with a very understanding wife that wasn't a avid flyer untill she rode in the 10.
Now my wife plans as many flights as I do and because I am a great husband I fly her to where ever she asks. Ha Ha.
The 10 has to be the best plane for the money.

70hrs and still climbing

Jim

Last edited:
-10 Build time

I started slow build on 13 Mar 2004, so I am just shy of 3 years. I have spent every spare moment in that time for a total of 2300 hrs. The tin bashing is done and I am currently wiring the panel. But there is MUCH more glass work on the 10 than on the two seaters. I expect to have another 500-700 hrs before first flight in Sep/Oct (I wish)

Ron
40187 finishing.

Back