What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Airport Home in Indiana

f1rocket

Well Known Member
I have to tell you, I am pumped. This past week, I signed the papers to begin construction of my new airport home, based at Twelve Oaks airpark in Martinsville, IN. I never thought I would be able to convince my mostly non-flying wife to build on the airport, but she has now given her blessing. I'm finally going to be able to live my dream to have the airplane right there at home with me. It will really support my aviation activities as I build components and sell kits to other builders.

It sounds almost too good to be true even as I write this. The lot is 5 acres on top of a wooded hill, overlooking two ridge lines with a small lake in back. I'm not on the runway, but can taxi to the house via a wide road. The house will have a hangar at one end and the garage at the other. My den will have a picture window in it that overlooks the inside of the hangar.

The airport is 2200' of asphalt, not much of a problem for the Rocket or a RV. Several of my neighbors have hangars attached to their homes as well, but there seems to be a large number of occupants that don't fly.

I'm totally geeked. Foundation starts March 1 and move-in date is tentatively scheduled for Nov. 1.

Randy

congrats.....but I do wonder what your lovely bride has up her sleeve for pay back!

Frank @ sgu still not done!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Cool! As a recent custom-home-on-an-airpark buyer, I can tell you it TOTALLY ROCKS. We also have several non-airplane types on the park, but they mostly just do their own thing, and don't complain about airplane noise. :)

Rosie is a newbie to "living the dream" as well. I think he's still floating on a cloud..without his RV even.

Being able to just step out the kitchen door and right into the hangar with my RV8 sitting there is simply amazing. No more lost time commuting. Open the doors, push the plane out, preflight and go fly. Simple as that. The fellowship shared with my airplane geek neighbors is also superb. If you don't have a bolt or cotter pin or whatever, someone down the street does.

Welcome to our wacky world!

From Rosie: Brian is absolutely correct! It's been 4 months since we moved into our Rosamond Skypark home, and I wake up, everyday, thinking "Wow, this is our life from now on... Only 20 paces from the house to the hangar!" It truly is this pilot's 'dream come true'. I'm very happy for you Randy and look forward to taxiing up to your new home to visit. PS: I should have our newly overhauled engine ready for flight this weekend :D

Last edited by a moderator:
You're gonna love it!! We've enjoyed our airpark home (Air Troy Estates WI69) for 14 years now. Airplane Heaven.

Roberta

Congrats Randy,

I have a question, is there an "airpark" or "Flyin" community listing here on the forums ? If not, that might be a nice category to have.

I know about the RV Hotel list already, but was curious to know if there's a list or recommendations list about airparks or flyin communitys.

Great News!

I visit my architect in the morning to approve the final floor plan for my airpark home at Eagle Neck(1GA0), on the coast of Georgia. I hope to spend Christmas in my new detached hangar and home. I hope to be listed in the RV Hotel section early next year. Good luck.

Congrats Randy...I'm Jealous!!

Man, you make me jealous....I have my lot on a runway in the Hill Country, but it will be several years before I can build.

Your setting sounds gorgeous.

Paul

Golly jezz gosh darn, arn't us airpark lot owners so lucky.

My wife and I purchased our 3.5 acre lot several years ago, counting the time until we can build our hanger and house. After fighting todays traffic I wish I was already out at (TS36 http://www.silverwingsfly.com/) our future home.

I would wonder how many have built hanger/homes vs homes with detatched hangers. Wife want the detatched type, but I don't want the long walk, would perfer just rolling out of bed and into the hanger...but the walk could do me some good it is tough having these decisions...

Last edited:
Lots available still

Like Robby, we're looking at airpark homes.
There are two beautiful airports just south of Savannah....one is Eagle neck on the Atl sectional and 30 miles south of Savannah with quite a few lots for sale, plus a couple of homes with hangars and a 3700" paved runway.

The other location is Barbour Island. They are now building ten "spec" houses and you can only get there by boat (a ten minute ride) or by air to their 2600" grass runway, also about 30 miles south of Savannah. Really very private place. Lots around $125K, houses new around $500K.

Come and visit,

Sounds great!

Didn't know there was an airport community in Martinsville. Sounds like a great place. Just getting south of I-70 has got to give you another 10 flying days a year! There is a new airpark going in down near North Vernon, IN (near OVO where I'm based.) If anyone is interested, I can put you in touch with the developer. Sounds very similar to what you have there and should be relatively reasonable.

Bob Kelly

Congrats

Randy,

I am currently bopping back and forth between Columbus and West Lafayette while remodeling a house there. I would love the opportunity to stop by and see the project.

Drop me an email.

Hwood

Randy,

Congratulations on living your dream.

Like Michael Polinko says,,, "hey I'm 49 years old and in the best shape of my life, I'm livin my dream, I play in a rockband, and this is a real bowflex body."

You gotta be happy as a pig in stuff.

12 Oaks Airpark

Randy,

Glad to see you are getting underway with the home. You must be really excited! My wife and I were down last fall for the Airpark barbecue and to meet the neighbors. We had a blast for the very short time we spent with them. We drove 5 hours down from Wisconsin, spent 3 hours dreaming, then 5 hours back. Well worth the trip. In case you don't remember, we have the lots across the Street from you on the hill between the Ponds. 12 Oaks is a Beautiful place that very few know about. We stumbled on it 2 Years ago and fell in LOVE. I hope the Airpark reference warrants a ride some in the Rocket ;) Unfortunately our plans have changed and transfering down there might not happen as soon as we wished. We are still dreaming and your dream is about to come true. Good luck and hope to meet you and your wife next trip down.

Richard Glick
RV7A/Engine Baffling and Cowl
Slinger, WI

Last edited:
Hey Richard,

Yep, I was finally able to get Cecil and my builder together to work out the issues. We will be "across the street" neighbors. I'm more than happy to give you a ride in the Rocket any time. Let me know when you are in the area.

Randy,
Your new home-to-be sounds like a neat place. I just visited AirNav and looked up "Martinsville, IN" and I really like the Aerial Photo of Twelve Oaks in the right column. It looks like it was made from about 5 ft AGL! :D
Best wishes,
Don

12 Oaks Airpark picture

:)
Actually its about 5'8ish AGL since I am about 6'1". Yes, that was my picture since I didn't have an aerial shot of the Airpark I sent them what I had of the Runway.

Rick
RV7A
Building...

Broke Ground this Week!

NewHouse004.jpg
NewHouse001.jpg

Broke ground this week! This is a picture of my new taxiway Alpha. Foundation is going in

NewHouse006.jpg
NewHouse010.jpg

"Hold short of Alpha."

Yea, but it's in.......Ohio! Who wants to live there? :D

Just kidding. Actually, the Indy RV group flew into Ohio and the Ohio Valley RVators failed to show up, so we've claimed most of Western Ohio as our own! ;)

NewHouse011.jpg

NewHouse012.jpg

The house is just about bricked and the drywall will be delivered tomorrow! It's getting closer.

Finally Moved In

We finally moved into our new home about 4 weeks ago. Of course the first order of business was to get the hangar set up.

NewHouse073.jpg
NewHouse072.jpg

I have enough room for two airplanes eventually, but I have one side converted to a shop area for the EVO Rocket I am building. The other side is the storage rack for the parts.

NewHouse075.jpg
NewHouse076.jpg

I'm still not exactly certain how I convinced my wife to move to an airport, but I'm sure glad I did.

Wow Congratulations Randy!!! Looks beautiful, hope to finally buy you some breakfast sometime this summer:)
Maybe Greencastle or Urbana?
Anyway looks great!

Congrats!!

Randy,

Congratulation! Last time we were down there we walked through what was just a framed home, but it still looked awesome. We very much envy you and your wife. We are still trying to make things happen so we can start our life on 12 oaks. I have about 25 hours left to fly off (Phase I) before heading down to Indy for our first landing at 12 Oaks. Sherri can't wait to take the first passenger flight with me.

Hope to get a tour of your dream home soon..

Take Care.

Richard and Sherri Glick
Slinger, WI.
RV7A, Phase I

Kirk and Richard,

Drop me a PM when you want to hook up or stop by. The tour's free and there's plenty of liquid refreshments around.

Nice Place

Randy,

I flew into that air park several years ago with my cousin who was considering building there at the time. It's a beautiful place!

By the way, I've enjoyed your website a lot. I am moving back to Indiana from California next month. Work related. I'll be based north of Indianapolis.

David

Do any of you enjoying the good life at these various airport communities have samples of access agreements you could send my way. I currently live at what was supposed to become an airpark (KO41). Airport ownership (private) and airport management have so far not been able to produce an access agreement in writing. I am trying to jumpstart the process by looking at sample agreements from other airparks. So far I have agreements from: Canyon Ferry Airport(MT), Seeley Lake Airport(MT), and Scott County Airport(TN). We have 23 homes with taxiway access already in place. The housing development is under the control of an HOA which is not associated with the airport. Unfortunately the HOA knows little to nothing about the airport and the airport understands little to nothing about the HOA. We are stuck in the middle at the moment and are trying to push things along.
thanks,
Chris
KO41.png

http://www.n91cz.com/KO41.png

Back