What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FIXED PITCH WOOD PROP

LST

I have a RV8A powered by a Lycoming 0-360 A3A 180hp angle valve engine with a Sensenich aluminum fixed pitch climb prop mounted. I want to maximize cruise performance and reduce weight on the nose. I'm on 12'000 of runway. I've considered ground adjustable, but frankly once pitch is set I don't anticipate changing. Appreciate any feedback on Sensenich's fixed pitch wood prop. I have reviewed all the discussions that I could find on props for my application and mission.

Lane
RV8A N553BS
KOSC

I've never had a Catto but I've heard great things about them and they look great. I had a Performance Propellers prop and had great results from it and excellent customer service.

Frank Johnson at Performance Propellers makes a great wood RV prop. Very knowledgeable with RV's and easy to work with.

The Sensenich new composite props, both the fixed and GA, are getting love from the aerobatic community.
Comments are it does not have the performance losses generally associated with going “wood”. Only loss is weight.

Thanks all for your feedback. I am considering both the Catto and Sensenich. both appear excellent choices so it may simply come down to cost differences.
I've had wood props on three others aircraft with good experiences; just not on a higher HP aircraft.

With the spinner the GA is $4K.
The FP is a little over half that.

I'm planning to go with the Sensenich fixed pitch as long as I can purchase all required mounting hardware and components; appears that Van's has what I'll need.

Back