What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Optional Canopy

asw20c

Well Known Member
Can anyone offer details on what the difference is between the standard canopy and the optional one for the RV14? The parts and accessories page on Van's website is not very detailed. All it says for the optional canopy is "SC-15" UV. I don't know what SC-15 means, and I don't have a clue whether you could tell the difference between a standard canopy and the optional one if they were sitting side by side. Is one tinted? I like the idea of better UV protection, particularly since you are so exposed in these aircraft.
I bring this up today because I just saw that the lead time for the finishing kits is 6 months! I need to order right away, and may still end up sitting on my thumbs waiting for the next kit.

SC-15

Not sure what the stock tint is on the 14, but I do have the SC-15 on my 7A Slider. It's UV blocking. 80% I think. Maybe higher. Very little tint.
I have several scraps. Shoot me an e-mail with shipping info and I'll send you a chunk.

I realized mid-build that I was moving to Florida and that the low UV canopy would be good. I already had the standard part. There is not much difference between the sc-15 and the stock part. I could not tell them apart.

Back