What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A&P question/needed Indianapolis MQJ

ipasgas1

I'm New Here
I have an RV-7 at MQJ outside Indianapolis. I need brake for done (I believe the O-ring is shot). Am I correct that I would not need an A&P to do this? I am not savvy enough to do it but, I assume, anyone (i.e. a local RV builder or owner) could assist me in doing or does it need a sign off? Not as familiar with experimental side. I would like it done ASAP so trying to figure my options. Thanks!

You are correct that maintenance on an Experimental does not require an A&P. Only the annual Condition Inspection requires this rating. You could do the repair yourself or a with a friend or RV builder. That said, I highly recommend you have qualified people help and/or supervise this repair. It is not a difficult repair but this is a safety system on the aircraft.

Just make sure …

Just make sure you install the puck correctly when it goes back in. It will go in either way but if done incorrectly you will loose all your brake fluid and have a very bad day. The o-ring groove is off set, the puck should go back in with the o-ring furthest in like this:

9EBAC035-EEE1-465E-99D3-E0BBD44A8277.jpeg

I have an RV-7 at MQJ outside Indianapolis. I need brake for done (I believe the O-ring is shot). Am I correct that I would not need an A&P to do this? I am not savvy enough to do it but, I assume, anyone (i.e. a local RV builder or owner) could assist me in doing or does it need a sign off? Not as familiar with experimental side. I would like it done ASAP so trying to figure my options. Thanks!

If time is a major factor for you, have a shop do it and ask if you can observe and take notes so you can try it yourself when time *isn't* a factor. My local mech is really good about letting me do that, or coaching me while I do it myself. I've learned a TON this way.

Thread drift alert:

I have a friend in the same area of Indy. He may also be looking for an RV familiar A&P for help / condition. Any recommendations appreciated!

Back