What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

attaching brake line to gear leg

seagull

Well Known Member
I am changing to braided teflon brake lines. I am curious how others have secured the lines to the rear of the landing gear leg.

Get the braided hoses with abrasion cover.

Use high quality Thomas & Betts Cable Tie Ultraviolet Resistant Nylon with Stainless Steel Locking Device.

I used three cable ties on each gear leg.

I used two 1/2" wide zipties on each gear leg to hold my braided lines in place. No problems after 5 years in service.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

Ah! why go to so much trouble. I bought a flying RV-6A and somebody used electrical tape to hold it on. Well at least they used it in two places. Just don't use duct tape. It gets gooey after awhile. Really don't use any of the above.
When I took the fairing off, I went Holy #@$%$. The guy could have at least used zip ties and it would be better.
I have some heavy equipment that we use spiral hose wrap on. It works great to hold and protect the fluid lines. Real clean, flexible, and secure.
Cheap to.
Art

Are pairs of adel clamps (one around the leg bolted to one around the hose) not recommended for some reason?

I bought a flying RV-6A and somebody used electrical tape to hold it on.
[...]
When I took the fairing off, I went Holy #@$%$. The guy could have at least used zip ties and it would be better.

Sounds like he followed the instructions... at least the plans for my RV-7 have you use electrical tape, plus lengths of split vinyl tubing to prevent chafing.

Are pairs of adel clamps (one around the leg bolted to one around the hose) not recommended for some reason?
You'd need some really, really big Adel clamps for that... plus it would be a little bit of overkill.

Back