What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage Kit Order

TASEsq

Well Known Member
Patron
Looks like I will need my fuselage kit early 2022 at the rate I am going with the wings and Vans have advised I better order it now.

Can anyone give any advice on what I should include extra in the kit? Anything I should delete?

I’m not entirely even sure what comes in the kit - but I’ve asked for an inventory.

The more I look at the plans the more it feels like I have to make critical decisions now that I might regret later.

Examples:
Does it include steps?

Do people change the brake lines or master cylinders? Is it worth going with berringer etc?

What about the fuel system - selector / pump / filter etc? I’m not sure even what engine I want to go with - should I just leave these out of the kit for now?

Is it worth changing the flap motor to the one with the internal position sensors?

Will I save any money deleting these things or just get it all and worry about it later? (From the wing kit they didn’t seem to give a lot of discount the deleted things).

Last edited:
Examples:
Does it include steps?

Do people change the brake lines or master cylinders? Is it worth going with berringer etc?

What about the fuel system - selector / pump / filter etc? I’m not sure even what engine I want to go with - should I just leave these out of the kit for now?

Is it worth changing the flap motor to the one with the internal position sensors?

Will I save any money deleting these things or just get it all and worry about it later? (From the wing kit they didn’t seem to give a lot of discount the deleted things).

I'm sure there you will get quite a few responses all over the map. I'll start off with what I did:

I didn't add anything extra or omit anything from the kit and I'm very happy with my decision.

Steps: They came with -14A, not sure about -14

Wheels brakes: I kept things stock because I figured the availability of parts while away from home base would make for easier service.

Flap motor: I went with the stock motor and external positioning kit sold by Van's - super easy to install

Fuel system: There seems to be quite a bit of grief around the andair pumps that come with kit. I don't know all the details other than there were some improvements/revisions made to earlier models. FWIW I have kit #200 and mine came with the upgraded pump.

You didn't mention it, but I would suggest ordering the finishing kit as well as the fuselage kits went together pretty quick, even for a first time builder.

I kept my fuselage kit mostly stock as well. I did upgrade the brake and fuel lines using TS Flightline's cabin hose kit, and I also installed a parking brake (optional from Van's). TS Flightlines has a more extensive cabin hose kit that includes moving the fuel filters outboard in the gap between the fuselage and the wings to make servicing/replacing easier. I didn't do that, but it's an option. You will also have the option of installing the elevator autopilot servo and yaw dampener too. I think most folks building 14's install autopilots, but still, that is an option. Now is the time to be thinking about things like baggage tie-downs, ELT mounting, Oxygen bottle mounting, ADSB Antenna, etc. I'm almost done with my fuselage kit and I still haven't figured all of that out because I'm deathly afraid of installing some optional equipment only to find out later that I put it in the same space occupied by some component that hadn't been installed yet. I will be waiting until the kit is done before figuring out where to put these other things.

Order one of everything that Aircraft Specialty has for the RV-14 - their hoses/lines are worth the premium, the installation instructions are very detailed, and the customer service is outstanding: http://aircraftspecialty.com/rv-14.html

I didn't delete any of the stock hose/line hardware from the fuselage or finishing kit (trivial cost), but I did for the FWF. Once you get to the FWF, Aircraft Specialty has a list of what to delete from your Vans order.

_Alex

Thanks for all the replies,

My thinking is as follows:
FUEL SYSTEM: Delete the Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter and Fuel Selector. I will make these decisions at a later date, since the parts are so expensive it doesn't make sense to purchase them now.

FLAP SYSTEM: Delete the flap actuator and go with this one

CANOPY LATCH: Don't delete anything, but order the JDAir latch

AIR VENTS: The inventory says the kit comes with SV-5 Airvents. But i'm not so sure? In any case get the SV-6 ones

BRAKE SYSTEM: I think the Berringer stuff looks good but is a bit costly. But the plastic tubes for the brakes are a bit ???, so i think i will keep all brake components in the order, but replace at build with some home-made -4 size teflon braided hoses. Put some clear heat shrink over them maybe as well. Does anyone have a good how-to on making your own hoses?
I will include a parking brake valve and a Bowden Cable to actuate it.

ACCESS PANELS: I like the idea of the new Access Panel Kit

STEPS: I believe the kit comes with the required weldments. Parts F-00016-L-PC and F-00016-R-PC. For the -14 i think i need the shorter steps F-00018-L and F-00018-R Steps? I could not find them in the Van's store under this part number, only L & R Step Kit For T.Drag-14 RV-14 TD STEP KIT $365.00

BAGGAGE TIE DOWNS: Probably a hardware store thing Like this. These are good for 450kg. Surely that is stronger than the part they would be attached to. Has anyone got any advice or experience on the best place to put the tow downs?

OTHER: Maybe a smoke tank, and an oxygen bottle mount but these need a LOT more research.

If anyone has any other advice please let me know! Appreciate everyone's input.

Sv-5 vents

AIR VENTS: The inventory says the kit comes with SV-5 Airvents. But i'm not so sure? In any case get the SV-6 ones

1-8-22: I just finished inventory of th QB-Fuse kit, and mine did not include the SV-5 air vents. Are air vents now an accessory not included in the kit? Maybe so many people are putting in the SV-6 that they stopped including SV-5 in the kits.

Last edited:
Back