What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What was your best shop upgrade? (Extra points for pictures!)

Alex

Well Known Member
I just finally got around to insulating the ceiling of my garage, and will be adding some fluorescent light units soon. Hopefully that will make a big difference in the comfort level in the shop.

I'm interested to see what other shop upgrades have given others the most benefit in productivity/ergonomics while in the shop.

Air conditioning!

Window unit installed in the back wall of the garage (after insulating the walls and ceiling of course).
2x portable electric space heaters for the winter.
I have 13 4 foot x 2 tube flourescent light fixtures in a two car garage - just about right.

Where to start?

Some as seen in this photo:

Overhead hoist, move anything any time anywhere. Even install the wings solo!

Lots of light. I've doubled the light from when this photo was taken.

Radiant heat. Can't say enough about it. Air conditioning also.

Metal walls. You can stick drawings etc to them with magnets

Radio with good sound system.

IMG_0149.JPG

This is an old photo and I have added a lot of stuff but you get the idea.
It's a pleasure to spend time out in the "barn"

8 foot flourescent, cold start, light fixtures.
My portable XM radio boom box.
Insulation on the roll-up garage door.
Washer wrenches from Avery.

Washer wrenches - now that cracked me up.

For me - insulation in the walls with pegboard over it to dampen the noise. More light than you would ever think is necessary. A 42" TV - And a great sound system.

Washer Wrenches?

Washer Wrenches? I had to smile after I looked to see what they were.

Heres mine, A paintbooth to contain any overspray that can also double as a oven where you can see temps up to 120* to dry the paint. I have a feeling it is also where my canopy will be cut depending on when I get around to to.

P1270064.jpg

-david

A garage roof that doesn't leak would score as the #1 "upgrade" so far... :p

Climate control will be nice at some point.

Washer wrenches - now that cracked me up.

For me - insulation in the walls with pegboard over it to dampen the noise. More light than you would ever think is necessary. A 42" TV - And a great sound system.

They are great. Especially for assembling the control columns. The wrench is thin spring steel. The washer snaps into the end and you hold it in place while the bolt is pused through.

http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=23800

washer%20wrench.jpg

I started with a garage that had unfinished bare stud walls. By far the smartest thing I did was to insulate and sheetrock the walls. It's much cooler in here in the summer, and much warmer in winter. Having a comfortable working environment can't be overrated! Here's the "before" picture. You can see that I also added a lot of electrical outlets. Another wise choice.

GarageWall1.jpg

After the insulation and sheetrock, I painted everything white to brighten it up, and installed a good number of flourescent lights. This has all contributed to an environment that's comfortable and conducive to getting a lot done, even in the middle of winter or the hottest days of summer.

GarageWall2.jpg

Oh, and I totally agree with getting some washer wrenches. They are a MUST HAVE item!

More pictures and discussion here:

My SHOP page.

Air Conditioning

p4nzDHjFHNY_nyM3HX_PdR3MSLjEyHH_dNI44cSAdLgGBBAQnJleydhq1NIBKI4_id0Om_JPOFzTx5HqPl5CN1yBj7IYugj-12N3AEBCIVlggDeacVbl-VbO9KEcy-QiV4C3qca4lvviwXjxC1pl0fm5iYq0ODxt_G9QW5X-K0NVfWEdraoPjSpFDOy7Rc0c8MwsmxpgfqpNILqeXKNSEFBcgubVoKCqS2PE0HtvhLZJlRtS4KVikozSYH05JxapznIAv7xEn6jL-Wm4ye7yiggs53Rrn01e5icZgx-vs72sIbFGEqVZonO-ToP1DH0qCjnuQdL2TdmQqWn2fwT38lfnu3BKC42h2kNdGT1s5FkWKP3btsWLKa5nCaofku57COmGF1cZEUwN6_T2CWIW62YNhco30lyT5u8lOIHpSqWW516pdkKkFaxOWK-w3zlpUm8YbzS3T9kGiDZx2nscH8H92Lzbrhekj5pVPO_9W3qRtVgC9s0haJT44Ys0orYWVGNqzrP4_Rbty7YQA6tcbHxDaPyGbYqSDrJBkDFYz40jlsq2Crti9QylEGu-HoFIPIH3ZgdcxbiK3k6zF4dLNDUozz0irQdxSJkif_PMnYcWr2NBoPM3cDdzZuBg12FwXrL5Uzv6na8JZaO7mgoE7e8etxhMCieODLJhedN6zvLaivWbaTjuMzWpCoexBNzBlLJ7h9opzAu1PcA-YhGTPrf5Uw=w500-h374

bxqQFdxSrGtnMr7BjgzpOWc91jlpqMJPydXgZCF3JFr58wLUgfRHJJlydD1khezbloarfFIlzl10gbFOfReG4LBnCAomhG5cIqLh-bRoPyezWq5KVijBcpZqo9CkRKbnvuXVeJcS0x0z255aTJM33P2kF00yojfwGOKk_xuiGi5xT3QXhxGMokMUOkzDCqZ9dt2W78rJ7SA9nw9Mg5ityyuG2GNGMal0nPodUk8I1Xveon_x9HVU3HSCJHwGJb6Usf2UjuDIMyJ2LxgkrWJwuR7dF623v7VGQuFXVhM9s-gHBvPzRpKaQv2j2ZKha__4-Hjs7QwxkqgiHX7O-rsn0SOs19T8hK9D1vfovW1DGHJdvkxj7_hlNQxC2iMWe6KzsOhLtXsRvngZMC0gfLXylwfsqkZwsA-EP5XDrZz9UqUHdIKEwNvwkPHJ9rCp_Pabzg5zs6GqQz2nqifjDCvkeB4dhAN_QOYGod9PW3Ql9ZxiztODPhdbS20P9A-_OwI-D14BF1YuyG4Ouzxeak7tRq_rIcDuE4fxU_F8z1lUUQc3QsVKxFdN417ag_mztmjB0kWpz57a48qrhKqHZzQx3hrJOUXFPWyW82ayRzOleUAHSm7ITFixiZzBq20RphiT6Dw5u7rf2UWGAk0aZmNlJcxlRwVGpPQFadIq94m4x7kQWpn6j1ZOWeJZu1CrF5Wzhvlye_IXAlxw9w9m4NKxibMaew=w500-h374

Already had good lighting and insulation in my basement shop. But it would still get uncomfortably warm during Alabama summers. Less than $200 at Lowes fixed it. I kicked myself for not doing it sooner.

Last edited:
My new shop has a few upgrades I love

I located my air compressor in an adjacent room that is insulated.

Added wall and overhead air fittings throughout my workspace with coil air hoses.

Added insulated garage door.

Added a dedicated computer with nice speaker system for music. Pandora is the greatest!

Here is a photo from last year....
photo-763435.JPG

I can understand about the washer wrenches. You don't know how many curse words they will stop until you have them. You also need a set of forceps too. :)
That overhead crane is way cool too.

My latest upgrade

2012-02-07-08.09.15-575x432.jpg

I recently upgraded the shop with heat. I hope it speeds up my stalled progress on the plane. ;)

Yes it is.....sorta

Gary - My garage is basically a walk out basement, and the house does have a basement. Very rare here I know. Here is the best part.....when ist 104F outside its 78 in here; when its 30F outside its 60-65 in here.

I have no heat or AC (in the garage). As long as my wife doesnt open the garage door for something I am basically climate controlled! I also designed that I will be able to finish my 10 fron spinner to tail strobe in the garage before having to move to a hanger.

Below Zero outside, but shirt sleeves in the shop. comfort makes for more productive work sessions

RV7221.jpg

Additions to the "shed"

Insulated the walls with rock wool, then covered that with plasterboard.Installed a white board and good radio. Added an airconditioner and Painted the concrete floor (keeps the dust down and prevents staining from spills) I became a bit carried away and even painted the inside.

Cheers

Jim

Top Ten

I don't really know which is the BEST shop upgrade, but here in Minnesota temperature control has to rate highest:
1 - Garage Insulation - walls, ceiling & garage door
2 - Natural Gas Heater with thermostat (and/or Air Conditioning, which I don't have)

Next is Light and Power:
3 - Tons of Flourescent Lighting - 6 double 48" flourescent light fixtures in a double (and a half) garage (more is better)
4 - Multiple 20 amp circuits/power outlets added to supply air compressor and additional outlets (more is better)

The rest:
5 - Three EAA 1000 shop benches
6 - Wing cradles
7 - Ceiling Storage Hooks and Slings
8 - Exhaust Fan
9 - Refrigerator, Television & Stereo (or Dolby Digital) Sound
10 - WiFi Access

Plus, of course, all the tools, tool boxes, storage cabinets and shelving to support the habit...

Last edited:
My best upgrade.....

....was my second set of hands!
CIMG3629.jpg
[/IMG]

....and the paint booth/respirator has been nice.
CIMG1242.jpg
[/IMG]

Second set of hands

I think that one wins. Can't think of anything else to even come close!

Oh, how I wish I had a drain in the floor of my shop right now. I just came in from wet sanding some fiberglass primer out on the back porch. It is a little chilly out with a cool wind blowing, my fingers are frozen even though in the shop it is a nice 72deg right now. I'm still trying to channel my inner Horton, he makes it look so easy...

I have seen it -15 F here in the winter and there is nothing like haveing a nice warm garage, My Cuz is helping me dry wall and insulate the ceiling, and insulated garage doors. It will maintain 65 deg with one little 1500 watt heater.

DSC01479.jpg

Not sure if I can classify it as shop equipment or a tool....but either way, with three taildraggin' RV's and a half-century(+) old spine, our "Tailmate" has got to be high on the list of shop improvements. It sure does help when trying to position an airplane for maintenance.

Back