What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust Leak

LR60

Both exhaust joints have some blow by, any suggestions on how to prevent this. The alignment during initial install was not great and now after 10 hours I’m seeing this..used nickel anti seize during install.

Attachments

• 222BAB7F-73A6-44CE-A46D-49A6EDC96C1D.jpg
    222BAB7F-73A6-44CE-A46D-49A6EDC96C1D.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 390
  • 721FD28B-42ED-4246-AA75-AF2F85072A1C.jpg
    721FD28B-42ED-4246-AA75-AF2F85072A1C.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 408
The correct hardware is installed. Instructions are to run the nuts down to the bottom of the threads. The springs set the determined tension on the clamps.

The mother ship suggested rotating the clamps and re clamping, which I tried but it did not help.

The second suggestion from vans was to apply a sealant. I’m curious if there is a better way to align the joints before trying high temp sealant.

Thanks

The ball joints should not leak like that, I would take them apart and see what's going on.
Leaking exhaust is a serious problem, if you don't have a CO detector you should probably install one.

A Recommendation from Vetterman (the 'man'):

"my summation is the the springs are too light or not strong enough because as they heat up they lose tension and a separation is likely the cause unless there is a deformation of the ball joint. I suggest the the guy call Clint and get the proper springs and bolts even though it’s not his system. Just my input."
Larry Vetterman

Thanks for the advice Walt.

I do have an GD-40 CO detector installed.

I’m gonna drop the tailpipe and see if I can improve the alignment and play around with the spring tensions per your advice.

Thanks again
Mark

A friend had this same issue on his 14A and got a new exhaust system from Vans (no more leaks), it was a production problem for his - you should properly investigate and make contact.

Thanks Bill for that information.

I took it all apart to day, cleaned it up and reapplied antiseize. Also added one extra washer on the bolts to possibly increase the clamp up pressure. Not sure it’s gonna make much difference.

Gonna fly and monitor before reaching out to Vans again.

Mark

Back